Winter Preps For Next Year!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 28, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How many of you take the time to get things prepared long before the next warm water months? Last year was a change for me, due to planning a late winter trip to the James River in Va. I felt hurried to get through all my outfits and tackle to make sure I wasn't going into it unprepared. I like to use the winter months to clean on rods and reels, along with going through tackle and making sure all things are prepared for the following season. I mold all my sinkers, and buy my hooks from a local guy thats a bait store owner , that cuts me some slack on the shipping usually. lol.. I also spend alot of time looking at maps, making new maps on areas to fish the next season, highlighting places of interest to scout. And studying the data that I kept from the previous season. As you all know, I have preached since joining the importance of seeing your river all months of the year, and learning it like your backyard. The winter is a great time to get yourself reset for the next year, get adrenaline and fever going, and to make sure you have everything ready, so when its time to be ready... It all works in your favor with no reasons for you to blame yourself for the unpreparedeness :wink:!!! rollo

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm going to quit fishing and work on my tackle and boat before spring ,unless I keep catching fish:roll_eyes:

3. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have already gone over everything and respooled one of my rods, the other 2 I put new line on in August so they should be good to start next year. I hurried along because we were planning to rent a toon on our trip to SC but after talking with the guide we are using, it will be cheaper to just have him take us out both days we are there instead so I am ready for spring already.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its hard for me to stop and take a break to replace the line, clean reels etc when I fish year round, in fact, I need some rewiring done on the boat and its now been about 6 months and still do not forsee a free weekend in the next several to have the guy do it. At this rate, Ill replace/fix as is breaks. I love high water winter fishing weather on the Ohio or the GMR from shore.

If we get a below zero weekend day, that is when we usually scout the river and drive all over the place looking for new access.
    Other then that, fish, fish,fish!!!!

Salmonid

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish year round also bro, just not only for cats.. that gives me time to get them bigger reels, rods and tackle ready when im not going.. I enjoy walleye, crappie, and even catch some bass throughout the winter.. Do you catfish all season Mark, or do you use the same tackle and poles for trout and catfish?:eek:oooh: :big_smile: rollo

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks a lot Jason. Man' tell me before there are only three days left! Geesh !!!!:crazy::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought out of you two northern birds, you were the eagle of the land... Now I gotta check with the sparrow ..lol... :wink: rollo

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No kidding you guys. Jason is right, this is the time to prepare. Remember that branch that reaches out just enough to ruin a good cast to just the right spot? Well now is the time to go out and take care of it. No hot sweat dripping down your check. No mosquitoes buzzing around your head. The brush will clear with spring floods. Clearing an old secret spot or creating a new one is less noticeable in the winter.:wink:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :smile2::smile2: just cause i like them peppers!! wait till your anchor man calls me!! I will fix ya up!! LOL:big_smile: rollo

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm on vacation. :big_smile:

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    January and Febuary is when I usually clean all my gear and re-spool my reels, maintenance on the boat / trailer. I also gather all my used hooks and re-sharpen them, and snell plenty of new ones to get started in the spring.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Because I move around so much, I have been fortunate that I can still fish pretty comfortably a couple of times a week anyway. So my preparation has been placed on education. That is hands on education. I recently got a new to me boat and it has been frustrating learning how to use it, but each time I go out, I learn a trick or two to make the experience better. I am looking forward to spring time as I know I will be catching way more fish than any other year..:big_smile:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I try to work on a couple here and there until they are all ready.. I hate to think they all are out of commision..lol.. And, WALTER, We have Daytona to prepare for!:big_smile: rollo

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i can't stop looking at my gear, this time of year is when i stock up and load up on all the terminal tackle, it seems like once a week atleast i'm going thru my box and organizing something, all my reels are ready with new line and on call at a moments notice, now just waitin on mother nature

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i will probably get my stuff ready next month,reels cleaned,all that good stuff,stock up on hooks and the rest of my terminal tackle.maybe sneak a few dollars from the wife and buy a couple new reels...

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I fish 365 days a year, which is why my boat and garage always look like a bomb went off inside them! But my tackle box is always organized though...lol...Believe it or not I only have 2 reels, on 2 poles. All the money I have had to throw at the boat in the past year didnt warrant another reel, even though I need some bad..But my 2 Abu's are usually disassembled every 3 months and cleaned, 4 years later that still perform like they just came out of the box...:big_smile:

17. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Eh, I'm usually messing with everything right about now, not to mention tearing up trout and pan fish, but I'm in the middle of a crazy triple move situation that's got my flustered to the point that I don't know which end is up anymore, not to mention my sleep schedule is all whacked out because I've been sick for a week, it's driving me crazy, the only thing that's keeping me sane in the least is getting on here when I have the chance and seeing the funny stuff being said in between the helpful hints and admiration, you guys are awesome, either that or this pm medicine is REALLY good.:roll_eyes:

Keep it coming guys.

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i got moste of it done i got the line striped off the reels ben using the red cagen line but its awfully stiff so im going to use what i got left for leaders i am making a swich to sufix siege neon tangerine its same price as the cagen stuff and i think i will be able to see it better gota get my sinkers poord and i will be done for the moste part ben doing a little re organizing yes BIG G got to me lol yes BG i found some crack bags lol thay are the ticket swiching from box to back pack i fish a lake and the river a back pack alowes me to swich around i fish the lake with one tipe of gear but the river is a compleatly diff set up so with the back pack i just stuff in the clear boxes for witch ever place im going live and learn BG and Rollo are good teachers:cool2:

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    we are awesome its not your meds at all lol:wink::eek:oooh::crazy::roll_eyes::cool2:

20. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The info on here is tremendous,I really appreciate all of it. You help some of us that fish turn into fishermen, thanks.