Winter on Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Dec 28, 2005.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hey folks! Hope the holidays are treating you all well!

Anyone fish Wylie in the winter? This is my first winter on the lake after big cats. The summer and fall were good and I was able to catch plenty of fish in the 4-7 pound range, but I took a couple of months off for deer season and will be back on the water a lot in January.

I will guess that the holes in the summer and fall will be empty this winter, so any tips are appreciated!!

2. cckessin

cckessin New Member

State:
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Wyliecat, there's a hot hole up the little catawba arm of the lake. The steam station on the main river channel dumps out on the little tawba side of the lake. I'm at work now and don't have my map with me, but when I get home I will try and find exactly where it dumps back into the lake. That might be a good place to hit. I talked to some fellas that fish the lake regularly on this site and they say that bait fish will ball up pretty thick near Ebeneezer park all the way down to the dam when it gets pretty cold.

The Nuclear plant has a hot water discharge channel somewhere down that way, but I aint sure where it is. I live on the lake and would like to fish it more often but really haven't had much time this year. There are tons of good channels in there though; there are even a few hogs to see if go down to T'bones durning the summer, go out on their patio and look over. Some of those big boys may push 20lbs. There are also a small and growing population of Blues in the lake and I've even caught a few flatheads this past summer. In another ten years Wylie may be one of the better cat lakes in the state!

Mudkip and Rango both fish Wylie quite abit and always give out good advice.

Mudkip, Rango are you out there?

3. big "E"

big "E" New Member

State:
    SC
    The hotwater discharge you speak of is in Allison creek.You cant miss it as there is a big bridge going over it and buoys to keep folks out of the area.The water is always a good 10 degrees warmer there but I haven't fished it for cats in the winter , only crappie.I know that the catfish attacks are relentless at times when we have 12' poles and 4lb line.That can be very frustrating.I would try the bottom half of the lake as stated , from ebenezer down to the dam.If you know where joslin park used to be there is a big hump out in front of the old beach there that produces nice cats this time of year.Channels in the 4-7 pound range are about as good as you'll do on wylie now , but there are bigger (smarter) fish there.My biggest on Wylie was a tad under 20lb and was taken on a live bluegill in shallow water during the spring bluegill bedding season.I like to present live gills right in theirelement.The big cats know they are spawning and slow to move off their beds , so they take advantage of it also.Hope this helps. BTW , if you want to get on some bigger blues , ride down to wateree.They have a nice population of blues and stripers to boot.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    cckessin that place you are talking about is on the South Fork River. It is the hot water discharge from the Allen Steam Station, and it is on the Gaston County side south of Belmont. I was thinking about trying that out next week. That is a five minute boat ride from where I am at. I caught some 6-7 pounders near there this summer, but the water around the canal was near 100 degrees so I stayed away from that. This time of the year it should be nice.

I have seen some of the ones at T-Bones. Nice fish. It is amazing what hangs around when people throw food in. There is a lady on the South Fork side that hollered at me one day when I was catfishing near her house. She called me over and wanted to show me the fish she was feeding. I trolled over and realized why the bite was slow!!! She had some nice 10-12 pound Blues eating the bread she was throwing out!!

Thanks for the feedback!! Come cating with me sometime!!

5. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah, im still around but dont know that much about targeting the big catfish in wylie. im usually chasing crappie when im fishing wylie. i dont make it over this way much, spending most my time on a crappie board.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Howdy rango. I may try Wylie before to long just not sure of what I'll fish for yet, either bass or cats.

7. big "E"

big "E" New Member

State:
    SC
    I plan on drifting the channels on the lower end of the lake this weekend with the kids.I been marking a lot of bait below ebenezer out in the channel , haven't been all the way to the dam yet.If anyone's out there give a holler , I'll be in a blue trimmed '79 toon.

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I fished the main channel yesterday and had NO luck. I could not even mark bait or small fish. I tried several places that produced late last year, but nothing is there now. I finnaly caught fish back in some creeks. I found a LOT of bait fish well below the surface and the cats were in and around these bait fish.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the report WylieCat.

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    We got again today and did a little better. Nine cats total, all in the 4-5 pound range. Again,the fish were in tight areas. We marked a LOT of bait today, but the cats hit in certain small areas away from where the bait was. Most of the fish came in the last hour of daylight, with the last three right after dark. All were caught trolling. All fishing was in major creek coves; we did not even hit the channels.