winter on the mighty ohio

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by on_the_fly, Dec 5, 2005.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    any of you out there in ky an southern IN fish ohio all winter long. i have been fishing the cannelton area here lately an with the help of keith my cattin has been the best ever . i belive i do better than i did when i use to fish pay lakes with a friend of mine a few years ago.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Newatcats, that's funny about the pay lakes. I've had good and bad at them, but that was 15 or 20 years ago. Since I've been fishing the Ohio those paylakes are a joke. In my opinion, The Ohio river is the best fishery east of the Mississippi. My father and I fished a couple of times out of the cloverport ramp and had good luck drift fishing. My boats a little small for fishing below a dam. This summer when there was low water in the Ohio, we drifted on a day the wind was real slight and at times we were pretty much sitting as if we had thrown an anchor out. I like to drift a little slower anyway. Up here above McAlpine there are some holes that are to fast for good drifting.Vern

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Sorry newatcats, I got alittle carried away and off the subject. It seems I fish later and later on the Ohio every year. One of the hotpots in my area for the winter time is at a warm water discharge at a local power plant. I also know that any deep eddy holes are also good. The only thing that I don't like about winter is the cold, but if you dress accordingly it's not too bad. Good luck, Vern

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i fished all winter long last year but on the lake here not the river. just wondering how good you guys do during late dec an all of jan into feb on the ohio.