Winter night fishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catchaser1, Jan 12, 2007.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Is the bite good at night during the winter? Here on Lake Hartwell, the water temp is still around 53 degrees, just wanted to try it

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure, I have not been catching anything in the daytime.

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Blues are more active in the winter, they're there but probably in deeper water. Look around and you will find them.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I love to night fish, there is nothing quite like it in my opinion. The only reason I don't fish at night in winter is it's too darn cold at night.
    The winter fishing in NC is great during the day so there is really no reason to be out there hustling after dark other than you want to give it a try.
    If the night time air temp. is tolerable down there go for it. There are always fish feeding somewhere...W

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Brad
    Those big monster blues still feed at night during the winter too.......just have to bundle up a little more and be a little more patient.

6. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    thanks guys, i can go either night or day, i just didnt know if it was worth it or not going at night, i always heard catfish were nocturnal?

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    brad if you going to fish at night i would try to get there a hour or so before dark or if you going in the morning i would get there a hour before sunrise. i think alot of times the big ones lay around all night and when the sun comes up he knows its feeding time or wait until dark again. if the fish waits until dark to feed i think that first hour with 30minutes of sunlight left to 30 minutes after are the best time for big fish. although big fish are caught at all times of the day, i just like to key in on these two great times of the day. you will see more top water action on most any lake at these two times and that tells me the fish are active. i dont fish as much at night in the winter but i have done real well before.

8. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we went last year at night in Nov, air temp. was 23 F water temp was 46 .We acught a 15,24,44,46. The two biggest fish were caught on frozen shad caught on a previous trip. The smallerfish were on fresh eel

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A 40 degree that is sunny is tolerable.

A 40 degree dark night is COLD!!

:lol:

10. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    i went sunday night and didnt put a fish in the boat, so who knows, could have been the weather approaching

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I couldent agree more Dieter