Winter Milford Shore Fishing ??

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by iraqvet13f, Jan 2, 2008.

1. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    New to kansas (Fort Riley), Anyone have any luck from the shore at Milford in the winter months? If so, would anyone be willing to share their bait secrets.

Thanks for the help!!

2. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    In the winter months you are going to need to fish as deep as possible. Your best bet would be to fish from the dam. Welcome to BOC!!!:big_smile:

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    There were some fish being caught before this last cold spell. They hit cut shad in the mid lake aera, water about 30 ft. welcome to the boc .

4. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    OK, Thanks for the info. Guess it looks like the Dam for me. I Usually fish with livers, but keep kearing about using shad. Any suggestions on where and how to catch some. I dont like to pay for things if I can find and catch myself, if possible.

Thanks Again

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Shad can be hard to find this time of year. I see they are letting out 200cfs so you should try the outlet . There may be winter kill along the bank they will work also.

6. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    Are there any Skipjack around Milford or anywhere else? I used to use Skipjack alot back home in TN. Any Suggestions, other than driving 700 miles to get some for fishing here in kansas.

Thanks Again

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    No skipjack in this area. the closes thing in Milford are golden eye they are good cut bait.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    A friend brought some skipjack back from Oklahoma last year, we tried it on Milford and never got a bite. Goldeye and shad are the best bait here.
    I tried Goldeye in Oklahoma and never got a bite on it there either, same with Keystone Lake.
    I've been policing up a few five gallon buckets of winterkill shad on the shores lately, nice 10 to 12 inchers, mainly for the guts, but I do freeze up some chunks and fillets too.
    This weekend the weather's supposed to be pretty nice, I'll be heading out with the Catoon.
    With the nice weather, and the outflow, below 200 (as of tonight) there's a good chance it'll be pretty crowded. There are some good shore fishing spots around the lake. A couple where you can cast into 30+ feet of water. I don't believe you necessarily need to fish that deep though, we've caught them a lot shallower in winter.

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Matt,
    Welcome to the BOC from Indiana. I have fished that lake but it has been years. My brother in kaw was at Ft. Riley for a little while but its been so long I dont remember much about the area. Id have to say deeper areas would be your best bet. rspd507

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Matt.

11. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC. My "Little" Brother is stationed at Ft. Riley also. We have been out there quite a bit I know that he knows of a few places, but he mainly concentrates on hunting this time of year instead of fishing. PM me and I can give you his name and such, maybe you guys can hook up. Take care.

12. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    Looks like I will be walking some shoreline for some bait this weekend...

Thanks for the welcome notes as well...

I have been back since last summer, and actually fished with some Pro's during the Cabelas King kat Tourny this past fall, had a blast!!! Met a few people, and got a few tips as well. Agaion, I only fish from the shore, and usually end up doing little fishing, when I take the wife and kids. End up being the bait, and release guy, but it is fun!!! my

13. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    Thanks to all for the info, and greetings!!!

I dont have a boat, but fish alot with the wife and kids, usually the Bait, and Unhook guy, dont get to much fishing done, but it is fun!!!

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    there are some good places to fish with kids on the north side . both timber creek ramp and east of north shore boat ramp . good luck

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's a couple of pics of our shad harvest today. There were quite a few hundred shad there, some were still trying to swim. We policed up 6 or seven five gallon buckets full. some of these shad were close to 14 inches.
    Jerald (Catfish Quiver) was using his "beer can sticker" to put them in the bucket.
    There was quite a bit of slush ice, so we'd get 5 or 6 shad in the net and about 5 lbs of ice. We'd just dump them on the shore, spear'em and bucket'em.

Attached Files:

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's one of Jerald with a triple on his "spear", looks like an Eskimo getting supper, don't he:smile2:
    The second two are of a smaller than fingerling size Blue Cat he found floating in the ice.
    We had two emotions here, first, nice to see the Blues are successfully spawning, second, to bad we had to find it dead.
    The best part is they're spawning though. Now if some of the "Greedy Gus's" around here would just put back the "Bigguns" which are kept much to often and to great a number, this would be a premier trophy BlueCat lake.
    The little feller was around 2 inches or so, it's laying on Jeralds hand.
    We finally got tired of netting them, now we have to gut'em, aarrrggghhhh. Now I know why they cost so much:smile2:, cept this year there ain't gonna be no buying:smile2:

Attached Files:

17. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    WOW!!!

I need to hangout with you guys for a day, to learn some new things, especially where to go to find all that wonderful cat-grub!!!

Looks like fun, and like you said, wont have to spend $ on bait for a while.

I think I will go today and do some searching for them shad myself.

thanks for sharing the pics!

18. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Jim, Do you know how deep them coves are? I'm thinking about going to Lake Shawnee and looking but don't know where to start.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, you'd be welcome to go with me anytime. I was going to go fishing today, but I thought I'd better get those shad filleted and gutted, but I will be going tomorrow.
    When we left that place where I took the pics, there were still a couple hundred shad there, went by this morning when I took Cody for his run, not a single one was there. There was a lot more ice washed in, I don't know if they got covered up, sank, or some policed them up?
    I live right by Curtis Creek park on the West side of the lake, my cell is 785 761 1470 if you want to get together to go fishing, let me know.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Clifton, the cove we found these in was probably 3 to 4 feet deep, we were able to walk out 3 feet or so into the water and still be in a foot of water. This was the second time I found shad there.
    I have found them on the shore by deeper water though.
    As far as Shawnee goes, I can't help you much as I've never been there. Now that I have something to camp in, we'll be hitting a lot of the lakes in Kansas. We've been to Marion Lake twice now, real nice place.