Winter Luck just continues.....................

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by RIVER-RAT, Dec 18, 2008.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    This has been quite the winter for me so far :crazy: For those of you who haven't heard, the river has already claimed a brand new $300 stainless prop and a Rod Reel (Surge Elite and Abu Garcia 7000i). Well my good fortune continued yesterday.

With the recent fishing report that our dear friend catfishchris gave us about Dink catching the 89 pound blue, Stitch and I had been re-infected with blue fever again, BAD! Even though we had swore off fishing until warmer weather arrived, we re-lapsed and gave into the addiction! :roll_eyes:

It was chilly cold morning, I was worried about the boat ramps condition due to the latest freezing rain and snow, so Stitch decided to run over and check the ramp out before I hooked up the boat. He soon called me from the ramp stating that the ramp was in great shape and that it had been salted! WOO HOO!! I was pumped now! I just knew we were gonna find the fish today and was stoked to get out on the river.

I picked up Stitch, who had just about every article of clothing from his closet and we headed to the river.

When we arrived, I got to see for my own eyes that the ramp was in wonderful condition given the current conditions. So we then began to layer ourselves with many different sweatshirts and various jackets and coats. Got the boat ready to launch, cleaned the snow off the front deck, placed the rods in the rod rack and Stitch backed me down the ramp. The trusty 'ol Yamaha started on the first crank so no problems there. Stitch then backed me the rest of the way into the water and I floated off the trailer with the motor running. I was floating down the river putting my hats and gloves on letting the motor warm up. Once I got all prepped for a cold run to the bait hole, I sat back down in the drivers seat with intentions of driving over to the ramp to pick up 'ol Stitch. I grabbed the steering wheel that's when I realized I had a problem! The Steering wheel was locked solid! I couldn't move it to save my life! I then hollered over to Stitch not to park the truck just yet and then began tugging on that frozen steering wheel until I heard a loud *SNAP*. Now the steering wheel is spinning free, but the motor isn't! I had broke the damn steering cable somewhere in the linkage.

Now here I am, floating down the Missouri river with no way of steering this damn boat and facing the opposite side of the river from where the ramp is. Here I am thinking *how in the hell I am going to get the boat back on the trailer*?! I finally figured out that I could use my body weight to somewhat influence the boats direction when the boat was in gear. I was literally leaning all the way to the right over the gunnels hovering above that 35* water. It took my a little while to get back to the ramp but I eventually made it without any other problems. Just perfect!

Now here we are, all dressed up and no where to go! So, we decided that since I have to replace the damn steering cable, I might as well re-due the layout of everything in the boat. I so far have moved the console forward 2 1/2 feet, removed that monster rod rack and the two fix mounted seats that were in front of it. I am now going to install new swivel seat posts in the floor of the boat, one behind the console and one parallel with that on the other side of the boat. Removing the monster rod rack will open up the back of the boat, I will now install 3 rod holders on each side, similar to what Cuz and Gary have set up in there rigs. Now, when we set up to fish, all I will have to do is swivel around and sit facing the rear of the boat ON-TOP of the poles! No more sitting up front and then running to the back when a fish is on. All I will have to do is lean forward and grab the pole!! I must admit, it looks like a completely different boat! I can't wait to get out and give it a try. I think I will wait for warmer weather though! :roll_eyes: I haven't had the best of luck here lately!

2. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I hate to hear that the luck, or lack of it, continues. I would like to see some pics of the death barge's new layout though. Ya never know what kind of effect the cold weather is gonna have on your equipment!:eek:oooh: Glad everything turned out okay

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sooooo, what did you do in your spare time?:crazy:

4. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rat,
    With that kind of luck, I would stay away from olejer's texas hold'em night:roll_eyes:. On the other hand, your bad luck can't last that long, and taking some money from the boys could come in handy with all the extra money you are spending on that boat:big_smile:.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I think from what I saw at Cuz's a couple of weeks ago, Rat has the winning part down to an art.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I usually do pretty good with the texas hold-um games!

7. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Let me guess, Ratman, not unlike how you steered your boat -- I suspect you use your mass to get the winnings one way or another. That is a competitive advantage.

Sorry to hear about your luck. That stinks.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Man Bill, maybe you need to burn a bundle of sage and dance around the boat to break the evil mojo..... That or find the banana in the dry box. :tounge_out:

Sorry to hear this Bill, but I have to LMAO at the picture of you turning the barge into a catamaran on the Mo.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    On the contrary Greg, I consider myself a student of the game and try to become better everytime I play. Sure there is a good deal amount of luck involved, but alot of skill is involved as well. I really enjoy watching it on TV, but playing it is sooooo much more fun.

You're right though, I suppose I could use my mass to get the winnings one way or another if I were to choose that route :cool2: but I would never do such a thing...not yet anyway! :wink: :smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh, I'm sure it was quite the site! I was really leaning over the side of the boat and it still wasn't much, that flat 72" bottom sure is stable!! :big_smile:

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Your not doing this work in the same shop you rebuilt your lower unit are ya? Guess you can up-grade to a hydraulic steering system this round, should solve the cold weather steering probs?

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Wish I had a shop! :crazy: We tore that boat about outside infront of Stitch's house!!!!

13. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Dang Bill, sorry to hear about the bad luck. Sounds like you are gonna like the new layout. So were there any problems moving that front livewell forward?

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Moving the center console forward was easier than I expected! The only thing I have to do is extend the hose carrying water in and the drain hose. everything else, such as the wiring, there was more than enough slack, therefore I won't have to splice ANY wires!

I am also installing 2 6" RCA marine speakers and a Clarion Marine AM/FM CD player so I can "Jam" on those summer nights when I start hammering those blues! :big_smile: Or listen to a Cardinal Game while I am fishing downtown! :big_smile: Although I have two Sirius Satellite recievers, maybe I can install one of those and listen to Howard Stern all night! That should drive 'ol Stitch crazy when he's with me! LMAO!

I just hope not to have any additional problems when I get everything put back together!

15. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Hi bill, I see where you said you have a yahama motor. What size is it? Last week I bought me a 18 ft 1989 alumacraft with a 50 hp yamaha on it. It is a real nice boat with 3 live wells and a power anchor. Anyway I had to change the impeller and it seemed easy to work on. It is power tilt and trim but I think it needs a Trim motor or selonoid. Do you know much about working on the yams are does any one else?

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Leaning over the gunnel to steer the boat? This sheds a whole new lite on the phrase "up chit creek without a paddle":crazy: Glad ya got it back to the bank and everything is okay.

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Were you guys at Columbia Bottoms? If so I'm starting to think that place is cursed. :crazy:

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey, I've been there!!

Attached Files:

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ya never cease to amaze and humor me Tom.:crazy:

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Dang Bill, your luck is like mine. I've had two incedents with steering cables. I was out on Clearwater Lake a couple years ago, on Fourth of July weekend, and my cable busted. Being there was no current, I just put the boat in gear, and idled back to the ramp, while sitting on the back deck and steering manually. Another trip we busted a cable on my buddies boat after lauching at Flamm city. We pulled it, and went and put new cables on it. (Dual cable setup) we didn't know we had em backwards until I tried to drive the boat back to pick my buddy up at the ramp. I turned left, the boat went right. I turned right, the boat went left. Kinda hard to get used to!:eek:oooh: Anyway. I think you'll love the new setup. If only my boat was a side console, I'd do the same thing. Not having a rod rack to get in the way really helps out alot in my opinion. We all need to get together again when the weather is half way decent and use Cuz's barn and work on our rigs and winter projects before spring!:cool2: