winter kill

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Jan 17, 2010.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Anyone finding winter killed shad yet or is there still too much ice?Theres big icebergs coming down the neosho now but haven't seen any shad.Having car trouble so haven't been anywhere else.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Lakes around here still have about 6-8" of ice on them.But when it comes off there should be a ton of them to pick up.

But as soon as the ice does come's off I will be in the boat netting some fresh Big shad like last yr.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Tom I will be right there with you getting some shad.:handshake:

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    If any of you guys get more than you have room for, I have a couple of empty shelves in the deep freeze. :wink:

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Haven't heard of any shad yet. Jim is usually on the ball when they shad kill starts happening. I plan on catching plenty of fresh this year also. Since I lost my 7' net last year I got my eye on a 10' or. 12' net this year. I will get some of them deep water shad this year. No more seeing schools on the SI and sonar and not being able to net them. No more thowing for 3 hours around shore to catch just one dang shad and pray your net don't get hung up.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I'll hook ya up Ray when we all start loading up on them.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas

Jay it was fun catching them in 20ft of water last time we went out. I didn't know what to think when the 2d on the fish finder was changing depths and I wasn't moving. Them were some giant schools of shad that night. Just wish they would have been bigger.

8. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    what lakes do yall fish most comonly? I fish perry for crappie in the spring and normally fill up cooler with shad at the spillway pretty easy pickens down there as long as its not loaded with people

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    That was a good time Chris. I see schools like that a lot on the 2D during the year but haven't had much luck netting them. The day Tom and I did the all nighter we came across a couple schools like that in a cove but still had only moderate luck netting them with my 7' net. I will be prepared this year!

10. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I think I am going to follow you and go for a 10ft real heavy net this year!

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    They removed the length limit on shad now if they would let us use 1/2" opening throw nets instead of 3/8" we would really be in shad heaven!

12. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Some day we may get lucky.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Chris, being as how you're in Kansas, you'll probably win the lottery before they change any laws concerning wildlife that would make sense.

14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah Jay, I thought about that but wonder why it's there in the first place if they have a reason they should atleast let us know.

Like maybe baby catfish/other fish might get caught in nets lost in the water. I know people try an get every net they lose back because of the lead or maybe its one of your lucky nets or something like that. Before they went to fake lead in which case we all wanted the lead back.

Just a little thought on my part. What reason do you think the rule is there?

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I've been looking at that "blog this post" button, ever since "the change", what'll happen? There's no chance of getting an infection or something is there? What's a "blog" anyway?

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    With the larger mesh, maybe those baby Catfish we catch in them every year might not get caught, them little suckers are a pain(literally) to get out. They might just not get trapped?

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I think the mesh size limit is there to try and limit the amount of sport fish that are inadvertantly caught in the nets. It also reduces the temptation of what someone could catch with a 12' net with a 1" mesh. A net like that could catch a lot of different species of fish. I just think the mesh limit is there to keep the anglers honest and ensure you are using it for bait and not something more devious.

18. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    i agree but with all the sizes available what is to keep the angler honest on there net size? if there willing to go out and break the laws/rules about what and what size they can catch why would they care about how they catch or what size there net is....

just like when i fish olathe lake spillway, there are always some latinos out there fishing and keeping everything, they dont use stringers they just toss the fish up on the grassy hill behind em, incase someone does come there are no fish to see....and i am guessing by the way they all look and get ready as patrol cars drive by that most dont have a license neither...

like i said when someone is gonna break the law they will find a way to do it..

19. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Larger mesh size throw nets drop to target quicker and are generally designed to catch larger fish.
    I am told that 3/8in mesh is used mostly for 4-8in fish by those who use cast nets regularly. Of
    course much larger fish than that can be caught in small mesh nets, it's just that the larger fish
    have a split second longer to get out from under the net as it drops to the bottom. Over the long
    haul, that means that the caster tends to catch fewer large fish and large fish yeild larger percentages
    of flesh per inch of length than small fish do. If you got to make a living off of the fish you catch, it
    pays to use a net with larger mesh. If you are going for bait, you will lose fewer of the beneath 4in
    size fish and have to throw out fewer of the larger fish. That's a lot of talking over a minute detail
    in netcrafting that should only matter to seafaring types on the coast.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Now THAT was a profound statement if I ever heard one Michael.