Winter is coming

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jailcop2, Oct 2, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    With winter on it's way , it might be a good time to start getting an emergency kit ready for your car . Here is what I use for an emergency heater . Take a large metal coffee can and peel the paper off , use a roll of toilet paper as a wick [ remove inner core ] , soak with rubbing alcohol and light . This will heat an average size car for quite some time . If I am not mistaken ther is no carbon monoxide fumes but I would still crack a window .

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian, doesn't the can get real hot. What do you set it on in the car? What happens if it overturns? :smile2:

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    As in any emegency situation caution must be used , a cake pan to set the heater in and could also be used to extiguish the flame .

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That sounds like a good idea. Most people assume they'll never need such stuff. During the winter months I always keep a couple changes of warm clothes and some moving blankets in whatever vehicle I'm driving. I keep lots of other things too but items to keep warm are a must. Good looking out for others! Rep your way.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good advice Brian, thanks.

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

IMHO, I'd suggest people refrain from this open flame method of staying warm and just spend the few bucks it costs at WalMart on a few good sub-zero degree weather sleeping bags to preserve their own body heat in the event that the car won't run and they are stuck without a working heater, and flares to get the attention of passing law enforcement for assistance. This sounds like a VERY dangerous way to stay warm.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good advice man, I travel a ton all over the state all year long. Nice to read this, always good to be prepared.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just got my truck back after 5 weeks. LMAO. New paint job. :big_smile:
    I got to fill it back up with all my stuff. I always have what I need for the just in case summer and winter. Summer is harder than winter on me. Sometimes I even find food in it. LOL.
    Winter time, I got what it takes in my truck to get a fire going, outside the truck. Any type of fire puts off, carbon monoxide.
    I like the toilet paper alcohol in can ideal. Did that in my dear stand years ago. Good ideal. That would be good outside truck. I also carry some of those pocket warmers. The kind you shake up and they warm up on their own. No fuel required. Can put em in pocket etc. Get em on sale at end of winter. They last a long time and work good. I got stuff to keep warm extra cloths etc. but here in texas, I can walk or sit and get help before I freeze to death. If I sit it out, it might even warm up on me. One day it be 20, next 60. LOL.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Texas is a good place to be in the winter.