Winter hot water

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Capt. Darryl Smith, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    Well since it want get winter here at Santee we are just about to spawning temps now. The water temps are up to 57.8 degrees when I came off the water today. It takes 60’s degrees for big fish to spawn.
    This also changes the places you would normally fish this time of year. Normally water temps here would be in the 40’s and fish in the deep water. The water temps got to the high 40’s for about 3 days. Now the cats are getting a suntan.
    Where I have been fishing in a canal channel 40+ feet deep and on the sides of the canal walls for the fish the last week, now the fish are out of the canal walls up on top of the hills that boarded the canals. We caught 23 fish today in 3 ½ hours total weight of 392 lb. We had 5 fish 36+ inches with big fish 43 lb blue. Only had two clients and myself so we kept 3 of the limit fish.
    We caught all of them Back Trolling again in heavy fog and no wind at all. I could never see more than 150 feet at best off the boat. When I would Troll off the hilltops into the canal I would quit marking fish and no bites. So I would turn around and troll right back up on top the hill and there we would go again. Next time the wind is not blowing to drift fish, try Back Trolling.

Attached Files:

2. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Boy Darryl , your're on fire. Keep it up!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report! Sounds like your clients are very happy

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Good stuff. Sounds like fun.

5. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Great report Darryl. Way to put it on 'em Brother!:smile2:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...It takes 60’s degrees for big fish to spawn...."

So are you saying at 60 degrees the blues are spawning or moving into area in preparation for the spawn?

7. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Nice slaughter there Capt.
    Maybe I need to plan a trip with you by Spring.
    Good job,
    Jonathan

8. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Once again great catch capt. Daryl you have definately got the blues locked on right now. CONGRATS!

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Nice haul!

I'm sure it was an oversite on your part, but you forgot to mention where that channel was. It's ok, we all make mistakes.:wink::smile2:

Thanks for the great reports and pics. Keep them coming!!

10. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Looks like ole man winter is about to roll in Darryl. I am heading down this weekend and it looks like a low of 19 on Friday. I am going to be at the Canal Lakes until Monday. Let me know if you are down that way.