Winter Flathead on Bullheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ramon06, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Always wanted to try bullheads for bait but unfortunately all the ones I've caught in the lake by my house are 1-4LBs. Only caught 2 Flats over the summer, 1 32LB on Bluegill head & 1 15LB on cut shad. In the past month I have caught 10 all on gills from 2-14 LBs and the biggest on a bass that went 22LBs. Since they are starting to bite I wanted to try some bullheads. Is it too late in the year to use 1-3LB live Bullheads? I try to get smaller but they dont bite.

2. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know your weather there. but if the water is below 50 degrees or so the flathead bite gets tough. Below 45 and its real tough. below 40 almost impossible unless you drop something on there head and you get real lucky in a deep wintering hole. In cold water I actually just use cutbait since It puts off more scent and the flatheads arent really looking to hunt down fiesty baitfish. Also it gives you a better shot at a blue or channel. But im sure the big bullheads will still work on ocassion. And they are my bait of choice most the time.

3. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    The water is still 60-68 degrees in the particular part of the james I fish, couple hot water discharges in the area, oh yeah from our previous post I believe the little lake is 5-7 acres, its not very wide just extremely long as it stretches the length of the entire complex and houses. The bullheads will be used in the James River

4. Cryophilous

Cryophilous New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With the water being that warm, you should definitely be able to hook into some nice flatheads with them :smile2:

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In the winter I use 8-10 inch bullheads. I use a 3/4 oz jig head with a 4/0 short shank hook and hook the bullhead through the bottom lip and jig it just off the bottom. I try to find the winter holding areas. The bite will be slow but you can get them.

6. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you gentleman for the tips, I guess since the water is still warm, I'll catch a couple Bullheads friday to go along with the gills for the weekend. I'll post saturday night or sunday night to tell you guys how the fishing went.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Good luck. If the water is warm I use a big Kat bobber and have the bullhead just off the bottom.

8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If the water is that warm then your bullheads arent too big at all!....in warm water most people would be very surprized at some of the baits we have used....we have used suckers that went 18inches and caught flatheads in the low 20lb range...so one has to think how big of a bait will a 60 or 70 lber take...no such thing as a bait to big for flatheads in my opinion...Only limiting force is if the bait is too big itll tangle your lines up something fierce...

9. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    this yr i got a 22lb flattie on a 14in bullhead and in aug i got my pb flattie 42lb 6oz in a 5in bullhead go big or go home ...sniper