Winter flathead catfish in lakes

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by joadb, Dec 13, 2007.

1. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    where do flatheads hang out in the winter in lakes.anybody have any luck catching any?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not as knowledgable on the flats in the lakes, as i am as there river whereabouts in the winter.. im sure someone else will be able to help you more on this. But, i would have to say, they probably react similar to river flatheads, moving from there summer-spots to deeper water. i have often thought probably more towards the dam areas, in deeper water, but not far from the schools of forage fish.. like i said, i will give an opinion, but it wouldn't be fair for me to say for sure...that is one area i look to learn more about.. goodluck , and good question...rollo

3. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    thats kind of been my thoughts too.shad are by the dams often in winter-deep water is by most dams-and old river channels are usually by dams.what about o2 levels in deep lakes this time of year?im not very schooled on the whole thermocline situation.thanks

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    like i said, i'm not real familiar with the lakes in the cold water months. i would think that the thermacline wouldn't be a factor much in the cold water, but thats just my thoughts. I'll leave this for an expert to chime in now! lol...rollo

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but from the most recent experiences and from the info I have gathered here the last 3 to 4 years I would GUESS they are NOT below the thermocline due to a lack of oxygen. My GUESS would be deeper water structure, divots, and humps. I would also GUESS that it is MUCH tougher to target winter flatheads in lakes because of the lack of current. In any river system there are few places that offer them very little current and deep safety with a very close food souce, although I am convinced that once the water temp is below 40-45 degrees, that those flatheads are not even close to actively pursuing food, but are acting instictually when a bait passes or sits 1-5 feet away, or you are making them react just by putting a tantalizing morsel in front of their nose.
    I thank Rollo for giving me the gift of a couple more months fishing "action", and showing me those ropes so that I can even GUESS at this subject.

6. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i havent caught any winter flatheads in lakes but im thinking maybe they instinctively move to the deep river channels in the lakes.o2 would be higher there and baitfish would be there too.the reason i ask is because i have never heard of anyone catching a winter flat from a lake in ohio.if you could figure it out it seems like you could really target some big fish,and ohio's lakes are holding some monsters.because flatts "stack up" in winter-as long as there was no ice and you practiced catch and release it would be alot of fun!

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, like shawn and jason, I have not targeted winter flats in lakes yet. But from what I have read and understand you will do best if you fish in the river/creek channel that snakes thru the lake. It should be the deepest water in the lake. Especially look on a lake map and try to fish the underwater river channel just like you would a normal river. Sharp bends, or a series of bends will be more productive than a long straight "run". Keep in mind they don't need to feed often so they might not be present where the bait is congregating. Then again you might find all the active fish coming out of their wintering holes to grab a quick meal and head back. This is all new to most of us up here. So kudos for trying, and let us know what you find out.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good thread joadb!

i have read the same as what has been posted. i have also read that they hold in deep water in front of a feeder creek entering a reservoir. but since you are talking about a "lake" that wouldnt apply. but keep it in mind if you try a reservoir.

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya know, I wish I knew the answers to this question cause Id be out on the water instead of talkin to you guys.lol:wink: you know what though, When I was about 13 years old my dad used to take me burbot fishing at some of t he local paylakes. One imparticular paylake I remember was called tanglewood fishing lake out by Ross. That was a killer shovelhead lake when it was spring summer fall, but when we fished in the winter time (sometimes ice fished) we always used big chubs to catch burbot and you know I don't recall anyone every catching a shovelhead out of there in the winter. I was there an awful lot to. most of the time we fished on the bottom which is where i would have thought the shovel heads were. I know that they just dont stop eating but It really must be a challenge to catch them in cold weather months.:confused2: