Winter fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by e'villeman, Dec 13, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Do catfish still go to shallow water and hunt near the surface during winter? Aot of post say they find a deep hole, do they just lay there all winter?

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i meant after dark and afte it rains when the rivers up

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The bite has seemed to turn off at night for me. get one here and there. we catch most of them before noon time in deeper water.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    warm rain, or warm weather for a few days with rising waters sometimes will get the fish moving in the winter. mostly the channel cats. but some flats as well. they don't seem to move very shallow though from what i know, in these still cold water temps. they seem to move more off the current breaks and towards creeks or streams that may have eddy or slack water areas that may be slightly warmer...goodluck..rollo

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah...its hard to find them in shallower water this time of year unless you get that dump of rain and warmer weather like Rollo and Prostreet said. Now we have have caught them in shallower water, but by that I mean 20+ ft, it just seemed shallow compared to the 50 and 60 ft holes we were hitting before.:wink:

6. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Thanks guys!, and Jug fishing only really works in the summer months right?

7. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have found that night fishing this time of year doesn't pay off.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am not sure about the juggin, most of the people I have seen jugging were doing it for flatheads so that wouldn't pay off this time of year. May still work for channels and blues I guess. I don't know much about jugging so sorry I dont have better input.