winter fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by jamminbassplayer, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    does anyone from around here have any advice for winter fishing? I'm in bulter county, and I've been told to fish the deepest part of the river or lake, but the water seems extremely shallow at my usual spots (I bank fish):sad_2a:

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    John, you just need to find a deep hole on the Walnut from eldorado to winfield. You could even hit the dam there in winfield about 150 yds down from it on south side, its deep and on the break of the main current.It will be slow but it should produce something. Thats my favorite place to fish in cowley county, this time of year you usually have the place to yourself. Just down size to medium size baits and rigs.
    :0a26:

3. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Switch to crappie, Fall river and Toronto are good now.

Cody

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Power plant lakes are a good option this time of year. I was at La cygne yesterday at the discharge. Caught 8 channel cats 1/2 to 1 pound on worms and liver. Caught 6 wipers 13-18" 3 on lures 3 on liver on the bottom. Tried cut skipjack and shad on the bottom no takers. Caught 60+ white bass 8-15 inches on jigs,roostertails and spoons.Kept 15 white bass 12-15 inches.caught 15 black bass 8-15" . I only seem to catch pnuemonia when I go crappie fishing this time of year. You don't even need a boat to fish these discharges. Part of the fun is you never know what you'll catch.Don't know

5. ret.1stsgt

ret.1stsgt New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hey jamminbassplayer I live in Cherryvale & I winter fish from the bank winter and spring, summer and fall. Fish from the dam if you cannot find anyplace else to fish deep water,the dam is most allways the deepest part of the lake. Also in a river find a low water dam and fish the up river side of it anyhow thats what I do and I havent had any trouble finding fish. just an ole retired 1st. sgt.

6. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey Earl, i'm down here in oklahoma on grand lake, my mom's side of familly are from Cherryvale didn't know there were any places to fish around there i know they did alot of frog giggin and pond fishin though, but i was pretty young most times i visited, just curious brought up some old memories

7. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We have been catching some nice crappie at Big Hill Lake the last few weeks off the docks.If you put in enough time the rewards can be great this time of year.

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    You might think about geting one od them depth finders that you can cast. This might help you find some holes. I saw that Dicks had them for fourty dollars or so.:big_smile:

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

this time of year flatheads stack up in deep holes just out side the current break most of the time with some kind of structre in front of them.