winter fishing

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by flannelman, Nov 14, 2005.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

what is the best trout bait to use through out the winter? im thinkin about using some corn, powerbait, and spinners. if anyone has any suggestions, i would appriciate it.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I sure wish I could answer your question but I do not trout fish at all. I will blue gill fish for bait , skip jack fish for bait other than that I only cat fish. :D

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Don't use corn. Corn gets caught in their gills and can kill them. Use soft cheese balls--American, Velveta, maybe mix a little garlic in. instead. I shouldn't say this (would get me killed on a trout board) but trout will hit virtually anything if they are in a feeding mood.

4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

yah, i heard something about corn killing trout but i didnt think it was true. good thing i didnt try it yet. thanks for the notice. maybe bread instead?

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Never heard about corn killing trout. But wouldn't other baits also get caught in their gills? When I did fish exclusively for trout corn was my main bait. Not sure on winter bait , maybe try using marhmellows, as I would catch them on that too, and even worms . :confused:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    powerbait n worms is all i need for trout. under a bobber or under a tip-up on the ice. just remember when it cools down they will roam the weeds in shallow water.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    It would be helpful to know where as in river,stream,lake you are fishing for trout.When I lived in the west we fished the blueribbon trout streams and rivers in the dead of winter.Often we would have to break ice off of the holes to be able to wade in.Ice would form in the guides of our flyrods so it wasn't unusual to drive up to a river and see ten idiots standing in the river sucking on their flyrods which I am sure caused some interesting speculation among passing motorists.I digress as fond memories overcame me there for a moment.I will say this categorically and will accept no opposition;"Sage flyrods taste far better than Fenwicks!"I used a ton of garlic cheese in the colorado lakes throughout the year.The best kind was the one that came in the roll not the squeeze kind.That is where I learned the panty hose trick to keep it on the hook.Corn, Salmon eggs, worms.powerbait all had there proponents and worked well.We actually had great sucess jigging silver spoons and Daredelves through the ice.On the rivers, Nymphs and streamers were the fly of choice in winter time.Spinners always work well if you have openwater and I have probably caught more trout on a Kastmaster than any other metallic lure.hope this helps.Totally agree trout will eat just about anything if they are the stocked variety, the wild version are somewhat more discerning.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The info on corn came from the manager of a trout hatchery up in the hills above Colorado Springs. I figured I should believe him. :p