Winter fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 17, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i was wondering what type of bait was best for winter fishing, i am going to go to the warmwater outlet of springfield lake, i have read that the catfish gather there and feed on dead and dying shad, so would dead shad be my best bet, mabye stinkbait, nightcrawler, or chicken livers????

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i would try cut shad or a shad head. This works where i am and from reading other posts i would try it there.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree about the shad although I'm fishless so far this year.

4. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I agree that use shad, and sometime I use chicken liver and nightcrawler for channel but someday it can lucky to catch them in winter. Blue are still hunting on shad in winter. I heard there's guys caught nice blue on shad... sometime flathead will grab that shad...

5. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Deadbaits never seem to work well for me in cold water. Neither do lives for that matter. I'm talking about water less than 9 degrees and I'm talking about water that has been that temperature for a while. Real winter in other words (at least in my rivers). Where I fish, the only bait that seems to work effectively and consistently in cold water are halibut pellets. Big ones! I think catbusster has mentioned them already. Put it this way - prior to using them, I restricted my winter fishing to carp, walleye and northerns.

As always, just a lowly opinion! :smile2:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    When the water temp's drop go to smaller baits and smaller hooks. Stick with the shad or skip's if you can get them.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure, I have not caught a catfish in the winter yet. So I cant tell ya what baits they bite, maybe the same in the summer.

8. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've caught channels,not many big ones, on chicken livers in the winter,water temp around 40degrees,but its colder than that reight now.However I plan to go to a heated dock tomarrow and I'll report back.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Use Shad for sure, always try to avoid livers if you're after big fish.

10. whiteelephant

whiteelephant New Member

State:
    florida
  11. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Just occurred to me! I mean 9 degrees celcius...

12. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Definately shad this time of year.

13. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Fishing was slow,water temp is still dropping due to thaw from ice storm.I caught 2 crappie,and no catfish.I only fished for about 2.5 hours.I fished with a 4inch crappie but got no bites.Witha snowstorm comming tomarrow may be a little while before I go fishing again:sad2: