Winter fishing?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by init 4 the CATFIGHTS, Nov 24, 2006.

1. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is the first year of winter fishing for me. Just wondering if anyone out there can give me some tips on locating fish? I've been out three or four times in late Oct, and so far this month, with out a bite. I've fished deep, and shallow. Please help! Thanx.

2. firefighteremtb78

firefighteremtb78 New Member

State:
    IL
    i fish from the bank so i might not be alot of help but I usully fish from the side where the sun sits all the time. I havent caught any fish yet this winter but tomorrow im headin out all day. Where in IL you at?

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    find a hot water discharge near a power plant , or a spot where bait fish congregate and fish near it you should do fine but dont be in a hurry to move if you dont get a fish in an hour just hang out they will bite if youve got fresh bait , cut some and fish some live , weve done good on cut moon eye latly

4. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info! By the way I live in the Coles County area.

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I am having winter trouble too! I have fished everywhere..... I guess I just have to be a lot more patient.

6. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    0 for 5 here in Ohio since October, have tried mixing up the baits some and even dug some worms LOL...it's been a while since I have done that. Had one run on a hotdog in a pond I haven't hit since the divorce over 7 years ago this past Sunday. Shrimp, goldfish, bluegill, hotdogs and worms fished in "known" spots at 3 different ponds at different levels. At least I know the bait runner system works on my new Penn. Good luck and keep us posted

7. old-rook

old-rook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi Chad,
    I'm in the same boat with you. First year of winter fishing, top to bottom from bank, in Illinois. No bites, not even from mosquito's, and can't catch a cold.
    If you are close let's get together. G.L.
    geneal_1@yahoo.com

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Watch for the feeding birds and fish close to or under them. They will be feeding on the bait fish being pushed to the surface by the feeding fish under them. Other than that fish structure like logs standing timber and drop offs and you should locate some fish.

9. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    Warmwater discharges, or deep holes with adjacent structure. Cut shad works best for me.

10. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Although I don't live in the colder climes as you guys up north, here in Orlando the water temps are dropping and the Channels are beginning to get harder to find. What I do now is move, move and move again until I find the fish. The cats are sluggish and less likely to be on the hunt for food, but if you drop a bait "on their nose" then they won't ignore it. I fish for max 30-45mins with no sign of any interest, then move on. The Shad will work well in the winter as it's an oily fish, and that will get a cats interest as much as anything in the cooler winter days. Wait for a milder rainy day, and then hit the water hard is another way to up your chances of catching in the winter.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    might try fishing the deep parts, or by logs.

12. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    I have thrown everything I can think of the cats this winter and have found anything that works in the small lake i fish. I still have a blast out there keeping my line wet and watching the rest of the wildlife.

13. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Go deep with structure or deep next to creek or river fork. In most lakes there is still a creek or river channel that runs thru it, like I said most lakes so look for those areas. Good luck

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I too have been having no luck. I have been fishing along deep structure for crappies and always put out a cat pole.
    Bill

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Also fish in overcasts and rainy days or after rainy days. It normally warms the water temp a bit and gets those winter cats moving and they also come shallower during that time and is easier to catch.

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    try some jugs to locate where fish are, also try chummin your area for several days, even on cold days it will bring in some fish that just cant resist alot of scent in the water

17. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Guys, talk about Patience, I am eat up with it, I would say I have a plenty, I am one for about twenty times out fishing sense the water has turned cold. I have no idea where they go, they just will not bite. I am limited to where I fish, as I fish the California aqueduct,witch is about 40 foot across and 20 foot deep and is cement lined and has no warm water inlet's, no deep spots' are any logs or holes that you can fish by. Bait I have used is Anchovies, fresh chicken Liver, night crawlers, worms I dug out of my Garden, and chicken liver cured with Garlic power and salt. I have fished on the bottom,I have fished with a slip bobber from the top down. and slip float from bottom up. and they just will not bite. this is the first winter I have fished sense I retired,so I am new to fishing cold weather fishing, But I loved every minute I was out their and will not give up, I keep telling my self that I want to be their when they get hungry. It kind of looks like I am not the only brother having trouble this winter. HELP

18. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd say the deepest area of water. Use cut bait like shad, bluegill heads, etc. Use a bait with a strong smell and use it as fresh as possible.

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if you are fishing a spot that is indistinct from everything else, then move to a different spot. Something has to be unique where u fish. I use deep water structure (20-30ft) to determine where i will fish in the winter. I chum it up for several days, sometimes weeks. this brings in the bait, then come the predators. Both will hang around as long as they have reason to (structure.) If several places around have the same structure i put some jugs by each and find out where there are bigger and more fish eating. Then i only chum that one.

If i find several with lots of fish, or big fish then i chum them. then if one spot isnt working i run and gun until i get fish.

20. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I've been out a few times since it has gotten colder and the fish definitely slow down. I spend a lot more time running around lookin for areas that hold fish...maybe half the time i'm on the water. They are somewhere...just gotta find them and hope they will eat. :confused2:

I've found one place with a steep ledge just outside a creek that dumps into the river...there are fish there, but i only got one hit or so in every hour fished. Landed one nice channel (5 lbs) in about 3 hours of fishin. :big_smile: Other couple of trips, had a few hits but went home smellin like skunk! :roll_eyes:

It still beautiful on the water this time of year, with no jet-skiers or large yachts ruinin the experience! :cool2:

Patience seems to be key.

cyas
    rc