Winter fishing?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tugrivercater, Jul 25, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    do channels feed year round or do you guys stop fishing for them when the water cools off? I know blues do but i live in east ky and there isnet any blues in the river systems in this part of the state, or so ive been told that...

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

All fish feed year round. I haven't heard of any hibernating fish. The action for channels may slow but you can catch them.

3. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have caught channels fishing for blues in the winter. you find them all schooled up under the bait. if there are any blues around they chase them off...

ed

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught alot of channel in the winter for me the best baits in winter are dead minnows then chicken livers:big_smile:

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah for me thats one of the best times for channels because they will congrigate in holes and you can catch piles of em.They will be real sluggish though unlike blues which fight just as hard in cold water as they do in warm.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No catfish hibernates.

As the water cools their metabolism slows down and they feed less. You can catch them year round, and if you have a hot water discharge from a steam plant you will have a place with more active fish.

I average about 1/3 - 1/2 the number of fish in the winter months as I do in the Spring through fall months.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    For me catching cats in the winter time is pretty much hit or miss. Their not gonna be in the places you normaly catch them and because its cold out not only do the cat fish slow down so do I. Their is nothing like holding a cold cat when you have forgotten your gloves.

8. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    so should i fish in the deepest hole around in the cold months? the deepest in a 25 mile strech of river is about 15 mins away and its less than 20 feet deep..