Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Winter fishing

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Rohaus 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals ,I wanted to pick your brains about the effects of outside tempuratures on the crappie bite. I am just trying to learn as much as I can as I recently have started to crappie fish again. My only experienc is from from my youth with my Dad and Granddad and the only way we fished was with minnows. I would appreciate all the education you could give me.

G
#3 ·
hey you ever heard of trolling with tandem rigs? mr.crappie crank baits work awsome during the cold months. put out four poles, two with tandems and two with rooster tails or belly runners. covers alot of ground. now if you want to jig it, look around stucture 10-14ft submerged trees,verticle stucture. google tandem crappie rigs, i'll look and see if i got a schematic to PM you.

#5 ·
Love me some winter crappie fishing. Fish the same methods with jigs year round but usually in 30' to 40' of water. Seems to me they school together more in the winter. Lets me get more use out of my Kansas fishin license.

#7 ·
i do my best trolling fishing in winter the crappie gather up in the mouths of creeks at 2 to 8 ft off bottom also troll 4 to 8 rods and double rigs on each rod , i like hal flies and plastic jigs on 1/8 and 1/16 oz jig heads ....
i have real good luck doing this , big bite baits ,

#13 ·
I crappie fish all winter, as the water temp goes down the crappie slow down. fish with the same stuff I use in the spring, tube jigs, small minnows , ( gulp 1 1/2" minnows, ect. Was out on the ice for 4 hours friday (18 degrees). I am fishing verticaly, thefish are slow so slow your bait down, I get a lot of hits when the jig is just sitting still, they won't chase a bait, so slow down water temp Friday was 32 Crappie school up in the winter, ans often suppend over deeper water, look in the mouths of coves and along creek channels the lead up to their spanning areas. they are often at 20 + foot deep.

#14 ·
I crappie fish all winter, as the water temp goes down the crappie slow down. fish with the same stuff I use in the spring, tube jigs, small minnows , ( gulp 1 1/2" minnows, ect. Was out on the ice for 4 hours friday (18 degrees). I am fishing verticaly, thefish are slow so slow your bait down, I get a lot of hits when the jig is just sitting still, they won't chase a bait, so slow down water temp Friday was 32 Crappie school up in the winter, ans often suppend over deeper water, look in the mouths of coves and along creek channels the lead up to their spanning areas. they are often at 20 + foot deep.
Excellent information. I agree with this post. Thanks RWG.

#15 ·
Here ALOT of guys have sunk hurdles (trees,pvc trees,etc) in various depths and try to keep them secret. They either they vertical jig over them or drop slip rigs with minnows. Sometimes where they are sunk crappies get right on them and sometimes it takes months. Illegal to sink hurdles so just saying from what I've heard.:secret:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.