Winter Fishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by tbendz, Nov 20, 2009.

1. tbendz

tbendz New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anyone had any luck fishing on the Illinois River in the winter when the ice is out?

2. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Tom. I've never fished the Ill. river but plenty of people on here have. Someone will answer you soon, I'm sure. Heck, if they don't, go out and try anyway. Anything beats cabin fever.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom Welcome to the Brotherhood. I look forward to reading your post.:0a25::0a22::0a22:

4. tbendz

tbendz New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks Mickey, I will probably try shad gut in some of the holes I usially fish and see what happens.

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Tom welcome to the B.O.C. from N.C. ,as far as your question ,i have no idea what to tell you ,but what can it hurt to give it a try yourself ,on a nice day :wink:

6. It can happen buddy, just got to figure it out, this will be my first winter trying it out. Some guy in here posted pics of flatheads he caught from a lake in the winter, but I can't find the darn thing!:angry::embarassed:

7. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    this is my first winter as well but I have heard people say that blues especially will bite all year long. its just that when it gets cold out they go to and stay in the deepest hole they can find. not sure if that is correct but that is what I have been told

8. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    TONTO is in the process of designing & building an aluminum cover with windows for winter fishing on the mississippi. Says the blues group un & you just boat from each rock section till you find em stacked up then its on! Momma ain't going unless he gets that cover done. I'll let ya know, but he swears by winter catfishing.

9. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    As far as I can tell, their is no off season for catfishing. I have caught them in every month of the year.