Winter fishing on LOZ with Steve Brown

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by stlcatman, Jan 7, 2009.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well there I was on Sunday fighting off a pretty bad case of cabin fever when I decided to call Steve Brown up and see how the fishing has been down in Warsaw. He told me that he was in the middle of trying to shoot some video on catching bait in the winter time and that he could use some extra hands to help him out. I informed him that I had two extra hands that are free and I could be there in the morning. He called me back later that night and Grump and I were heading to Warsaw at 4:30 am on Monday morning to help Steve shoot some video for two days.

We get down there and headed out in the pro cat with the cabin up and the heater on. It was a balmy 20 degrees with a wind chill in the teens. Inside the cabin it was in the mid to upper 70's. I have never fished in a full en-closer in the winter time and don't plan on fishing without one again.:smile2: That thing would bring Kutter out of the cave to fish in January. It has see through plastic all the way around and you can run up and down the river at full speed with no noise or cold air on you at all. I knew that it would be nice but never really thought it would be so comfortable. It was like sitting in your truck with the heater on listening to the radio and rolling down the window to catch a fish.
    Now to the fishing, it was a great time and we definitely got some good video of take downs and some nice fish coming over the back of the boat. We caught a total of 31 fish in two days and lost a few at the boat. Steve taught us quite a bit about winter time fishing on lakes and how to locate bait on the sonar during this time of the year. I can't say enough about Steve's hospitality and willingness to show people what he knows about fishing for these great fish. He is a great host and is very generous with his time and knowledge. If you guys are suffering from cabin fever the time to get down there with Steve is now while the water is still in the mid to upper 30's and the bite is on. Thanks again Steve for letting Grump and I stay with you and tag along for some great fishing.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Been there, done that. I'd recommend a trip with Steve to anybody!!

4. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Here,s a couple of pics from our Fishing Trip. I Know most of you will think I'm lying but even Grumper caught fish.

Attached Files:

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Smile Gary!!!:big_smile::confused2:

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Doug, thats the best smile you'll get outta Grump...:smile2::wink:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :smile2: :smile2: The 1st pic looks like he almost was just about there :smile2: Nice fish guys.. Garry why you in short sleeves and Ryan is wearing 3 layers of winter clothing :tounge_out:

8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Gary had more experience running the camera and was inside a lot more than me. It was in the teens with the wind chill and you could still wear short sleeves inside that cabin. I myself had to step outside a few times with all of the clothes I was wearing.

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    That sounds like a great trip with a bunch of nice fish! I would love to go fishin' with Steve. Thanks for the pictures

10. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice fish guys i cant seem to get the hang of winter fishing yet

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    What can I say, but another great trip on the books with Steve at Catfish Safari. If any of you guys have cabin fever, this sure is the cureall. As you can see, It is January, and I'm fishing in a vented back short sleeve shirt. That enclosure is worth it's weight in gold, I know that. (Swamp, where you at??):cool2: Anyway, I had a great time. 2 days of fishing, and we were the only boat on the water. Talk about peaceful.:roll_eyes: Ryan and Steve caught most of the fish on day 1, as I did the majority of the camera work. I think I redeemed myself on day 2 though, even after losing the biggest fish of the trip at the boat.:smile2: I'm defenitely ready to go back, I know that.:wink:

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    oh, uh, the big one got away. Ok Grumper.
    Maybe the reason Grumper had less clothes on, is that he is, uh, "better insulated than Punkin"

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hey! I got proof on this one! It's all caught on video. As far as having more insulation, well u got me on that one!:smile2::wink:

14. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well I thought I would rub it in a little more for all you open boat guys!!!!. BRRRR it sure looks cold out there....

Attached Files:

15. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Looks like a lot of fun.