Winter fishing for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Shinchan, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Hi, just wondering if people continue to fish for channels in the winter? I live within an hours drive from a few small lakes of 100-200 acres that have been stocked with channels in WA, do you think they'll bite when the temp drops? This is my first winter in the mainland (I'm from Hawaii) so I have no idea if people still catfish in the winter.
    Mahalo for any info/advice
    Randy

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Yes , I fish in winter for channels. From experience it can be frustrating waiting for them to bite , but they have been caught. They have a tendency to bite rather sluggishly , though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I enjoy fishing for channels in the winter time. Have caught a lot of nice ones. I'll change how I fish for them in the winter from how I fish for them in the warmer month's though. Drifting works better for me in the winter, then anchoring. Summertime the channels around here will be in the shallow waters and I can bump anchor for them pretty easily. Winter time I pretty much have the whole river here to myself and can drift for them and have a blast with numbers and size. I'll start in the shallow water and drift the deeper parts. The winter water level is usually a little higher and will have good current in the deeper waters. Seems the channels like the current for feeding.

4. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I've taken channels through the ice here in cold So. Dakota. This while fishing for walleyes.

Welcome to BOC. :big_smile:

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes they hit smaller baits like crappie minnows in the deeper parts of lakes. chum mite be a good option to get the numbers up:wink:

6. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Thanks for the help! I guess I'll put on my jacket and give it a try. Ice fishing? Thats hardcore.....:eek:oooh: