winter fishing are you prepared

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TnRivershark, Nov 30, 2009.

1. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    The day that my trailer got stuck on the end of the ramp and i had to get in the water to get it, my first thought was boy I am really glad it wasn't cold. I had to go home soaking wet with out a change of clothes, so when I leave to go to the lake I have a boat bag with a complete change of clothes. Sounds dull but with winter temps. on the way, hypothermia kills and I'm not ready to be dead yet. It could save your life. I am going to even pack up a fire starting kit to keep on my boat, you never know when you could get stranded on the river. Just a thought.:0a22:

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good Post. It's always the right time to think about safety and being prepared. Making it home safely is work a little extra effort to be prepared.

3. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Better to be safe than sorry.
    And yes , I'm ready for the winter...

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Safety is #1 in my book..Always be prepared..Good post Kevin..

5. festus

festus New Member

I don't own a boat anymore, but I'll take your advice about packing an extra change of clothes. Most of the time I'm on government property when I'm fishing, so I don't have to worry about thieves. Usually I carry two Bic lighters in my pockets and an extra couple of boxes of matches in my tackle bag. Also keep a first aid kit in one pouch of my tackle bag.

6. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C

You have credentials , no??:smile2:

7. festus

festus New Member

Yeah Mason, most of the areas I fish are heavily patrolled by the TVA Police, and I'm usually within eyesight of my vehicle. I never liked the idea of a cell phone, and I finally broke down this spring and bought one. That's another potential lifesaver. The only problem is not enough game wardens. I see them every couple of days during early spring, and then they seem to disappear.

8. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    They need to intensify the number of wardens here. I saw one Fri. afternoon , but none since. I think they have a tendency to frequent those places with high traffic moreso than others. One spot I fish at night is across from Alcoa and the guards , cops , and sheriff patrol the area. Aside from that , everywhere else is off limits without others. I really wish they'd open the national forest to night fishing. There is a host I think lives in an RV out there , but I seldom actually see him.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin it is a great thought. Safety First is my feelings. One needs an emergency kit prepared for the type of fishing or hunting that they do.

10. festus

festus New Member

The last time I saw a game warden was a couple months ago at Daddy's Creek on Catoosa Wildlife Management Area. We were fishing, he drove over the bridge and waved and didn't stop. That's another place that used to be open at night that isn't any more--Devil's Breakfast Table. This time of year game wardens are after hunting poachers.

I don't fish Bull Run Steam Plant now because the plant is not generating. I think you might still be allowed to night fish over there. And of course Kingston Steam Plant is completely off limits.

11. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    There is not much you can do about fog..unfortunatley. Unless you see it coming and get the heck outa there before it sets in heavy. Or carry a gps on the boat. hmmm I think I know what I want for christmas this year...

12. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    A few weeks ago I took a dive in the river. I had some of the kids with me and my tackle box on the edge of a bridge, well one thing led to another and my open box took a dive, I ran around and into the water after my box. I was luck enough that I was able to retrieve most my tackle. weights and some big circle hooks were lost but all my team catfish tackle, well most of it, was recovered. When I got done I realized I had my truck keys with that remote lock thangy, my Glock 45 and wallet all got soaked. Was a nice refreshing swim and the kids had a good laugh and a good time. Especially when I got down to nothing but my underwear for the drive home. LOL Bring an extra set of clothes!

13. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    LMAO:smile2::smile2::smile2::big_smile::big_smile:

14. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Mike,
    No offense, but that is some funny chit! :smile2: LMAO.

By the way, why do they close some areas to night fishing? Because of vandalism?

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Food, stove, lantern, tarp, heater, spare clothes, hand warmers, yea I think I'm prepared for most situations.

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    its always better to be prepared then be one of those i wish i had it guys. hypothermia and shock can set in, in seconds. especially when wet. a fire and a change of clothes could def save your life.

17. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Good post. Also if you're going to be around water in the winter don't wear cotton, cotton kills when it's wet in the winter.

Wear wool, polypropylene or silk blends.....yes I said silk blends!

These materials allow your body to heat up and evaporate the moisture!:cool2:

18. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    This is a great post! I went icefishing on november 23rd and 24th on 4" of nice clear ice I was wearing my floater jacket they are awesome. Here's some pictures maybe some of you havent been icefishing and might like to see some pics. :big_smile:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130530

19. festus

festus New Member

I checked your ice fishing photos out, Shane, great job. And it's a shame folks will litter the ice up as they do the lake banks down here.