Winter fishing and some new baits

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman529, Oct 16, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    just found on this site how to extract oil from baitfish. When I get enought I will try it. Also I got about a dozen clams and plan to get more before water gets too cold. I am going to try serious winter catfishing for the first time this winter. I will use clams and fresh bait. I will fish where I do in the summer but deeper than usual. One thing I want to know is what weather conditions are good for winter channels?

2. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i found lots of clams in the bellys of cats i cleaned last week, they must digest the clam and discharge the whole shell. it looked painfull in the guts to see them shells !

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

catman channels will bite year round. I have caught them from 7 am until dark and past that along with blues. Good luck

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I noticed that last year when it was the coldest here(FL), that I caught fewer cats but they were much larger than the ones I've been catching since it warmed up.

I don't know if it was the temp. or the time of day. I fish @ night during the summer because it's cooler & during the day in the winter because it's warmer.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i catch blues during the coldest months of winter so im sure u could catch channels in the winter to.

btw we have cought a bunch of channels off of mussels.not sure if thats what ur refering to, butthey work great!