Winter fishing and some new baits

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman529, Oct 16, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

just found on this site how to extract oil from baitfish. When I get enought I will try it. Also I got about a dozen clams and plan to get more before water gets too cold. I am going to try serious winter catfishing for the first time this winter. I will use clams and fresh bait. I will fish where I do in the summer but deeper than usual. One thing I want to know is what weather conditions are good for winter channels?
  2. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

West Virginia
    i found lots of clams in the bellys of cats i cleaned last week, they must digest the clam and discharge the whole shell. it looked painfull in the guts to see them shells !

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

catman channels will bite year round. I have caught them from 7 am until dark and past that along with blues. Good luck
  4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

Missouri Originally Now I
    I noticed that last year when it was the coldest here(FL), that I caught fewer cats but they were much larger than the ones I've been catching since it warmed up.

I don't know if it was the temp. or the time of day. I fish @ night during the summer because it's cooler & during the day in the winter because it's warmer.
  5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

i catch blues during the coldest months of winter so im sure u could catch channels in the winter to.

btw we have cought a bunch of channels off of mussels.not sure if thats what ur refering to, butthey work great!