Winter Fishing and Boat Maintenance

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by mohicks, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    I fish the Potomac River here in Virginia and have had a lot of success this summer and fall with big blues. Unfortunately, the weather has turned cold and I have winterized my boat, but I'm dying to get back on the water. I was wondering what type of boat maintenance and care is required when fishing in winter. I have a 21' bow rider with an inboard motor and just don't know how to prevent freeze damage. Normally, my fishing is done with the first freeze. I'd love to extend the season. Any tips you can offer are much appreciated.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to the Trailer Boats magazine website and they have a very good article about winterizing both inboards and outboards.Also go to the library here on the BOC and you will find a wealth of info.:smile2:

3. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    With an I/O you can rig a 5 gallon bucket with plumbing fittings so a hose can be connected to the bottom. Hook the other end to your muffs. Fill the bucket with pink antifreeze, set it up high and run it until the antifreeze comes out your exhaust.

A couple things. Dont let it run dry, just idle and keep your eye on the level.

The green car antifreeze is expensive and toxic, kills cats, dogs etc that drink it and doesn't belong in the river. Walmart pink RV antifreeze is cheap and non toxic.

You need to let it run out for a little bit so that it doesn't get too diluted with leftover water in the block.

That should do your engine. Any other water in the boat needs to be drained (sink?). Most of winterizing is about storage and seasonal maintenance not the cold, other than the water in the block. I do nothing different in my boat (OB) in the winter but would "winterize" it if I was going to store it for 6 months through the summer.

4. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I left out if your boat is raw water cooled make sure you run it on the hose until the thermostat opens before switching over to antifreeze.