Winter Drift?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by SC Hartwell, Nov 20, 2006.

How do you fish in the winter?

1. Anchored

2. Drifting

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I just wanter to know who drifted in the winter and who anchored. I'm trying to figure this out!

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do both, depending on conditios as to which I try first.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Both It depends on the weather:smile2:

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i stop drift fishing about mid october and don't start again till spring

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I'm somewhat new to drift fishin. Did it a bit in the spring.

Tried driftin this past weekend and i learned it's not good to get hung up in a fairly strong current with 3 poles in the water...lol
    I was alone(well, i had my dog with me, but she don't like to reel in lines too much :big_smile: ) ..so gettin the other 2 poles in, firing up the main motor and gettin back up the river to where i was hung was not fun....not to mention all the debri that kept snaggin my line. The trollin motor wouldn't pull me up the river.

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I voted for anchored. Mostly, because where I live, any water that is not flowing is frozen. So I am ice fishing then. That is kind of like anchored - isn't it ?

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I mostly anchor fish mainly because I like fishing the tree stumps and the edge of drop offs. But drifting the 10 to 15 ft. flats can also produce very well this time of year.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I do both. What ever works at that time is what I like to do.
    Pete

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I normally try drifting first because you can cover more ground and the stripers are keeping the bait moving. you can anchor on alot of bait that are holding fish then a school of stripers come through and it is gone and the fish are gonna follow the bait. If that isnt working then i will anchor.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I do both, but probably drift more than anchor. I like to find schools of baitfish and either drift through, or anchor on top of them, much like flatheadhunterx does.

11. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks to all of you guys. I will try to find some bait and drift in the flats. That's what it looks like I should do.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I mainly anchor. I know guys that will drift in the winter unless the river is up too much and there is too much current.

13. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I drift fish 95% of the time. Blues are on the move more following schools of bait fish. I do have a couple of big humps I anchore on when drifting doesnt work.

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I anchor. I guess I've never even tried driftin. I like to sit on my hole and give the active fish a chance to sniff out what I got to offer. I hear a lot of guys drift but I also wouldn't like only having one line down. I like to have as many lines in the water as I can, so when I get biguns on Ican spend an hour untangling my lines.

15. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris it takes alittle practice but i drift with 6 or 7 rods off one side if the wind is blowing good enough or i use 6 out the back and pull myself with trolling motor. then on the other side i put 6 or 7 more out at suspended depths.

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

17. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for the anchor idea Ronald...that sure makes sense.

I was holding the one pole and bouncing it off the bottom, while i had the other 2 at different depths with different baits. I had a hit on one of the other 2 poles and set my "bottom bouncer" rig down to grab the other line. Missed the fish and when i returned to my "bottom bouncer rig it was hung up..DOH. :roll_eyes:

live and learn! :tounge_out:

cyas
    rc

18. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    when i am drifting the rods that i am dragging are sometimes 50 ft away from the boat just dragging on the bottom. a small crappie float above the hook keeps the bait up off the bottom the length of the leader. usually 1 to 2 ft. finding good bottom helps alot with the snags. cant drift through alot of cover though.

19. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm thinking anchored down in the hot ditch is where i'm gonna be this winter otherwise alot of the lake is frozen

20. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Mostly I'm an anchor, tie off to trees/stumps in less than 10 foot of water. But will drift deep water in winter simply because this tends to be where most of the shad are. This tends to reverse on Texas lakes from Spring - Fall.
    In the winter, using drift shoots and socks is the common way around these parts. Holds the boat side ways to the wind, fish into the wind, bait bouncing off the bottom with a 3/4 oz sinker, normally carolina rig, maybe with a float on the leader. Can fish multiple poles this way.
    This will mostly come down to the type/style of bottom and the lake/river you're fishing ... and of course personal choice. Big boys and eaters can be caught both ways in a fairly wide range of water temps.