Winter draw down for the lake is more

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Dec 3, 2008.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    THIS is not the best place to have a boat when the lake is coming down. I would think they would have at least raised the motor to keep it out of the rocks and dirt. :eek:oooh:

Entergry normally lowers LAKE Hamilton 5 ft every winter, this year they dropped it 9 ft. Lake Quachita, the lake above Hamilton, may have a problem with it's dam. They had to lower our lake to be able to inspect Quachita's dam. They are concerned that the dam is seeping to much. We sure wouldn't want that dam to wash out. :wink:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    was planing a trip to ouachita in a few dys do you know if they have it drawed down to.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Johnnie, I don't know. Tuesday I went over Quachita on the Hwy 270 bridge but didn't notice the lake level. I was looking at the new bridge being constructed.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Dayton, about every three or four years, Duke Energy drops Lake Norman down 8 to 9 feet and we have boats like your lake sitting on the ground. Most of our boats that are sitting on the ground belong to people that only come to the lake during the summer months, thus they do not get the news that the lake will be drawn down. A lot of maintenance work is required to get them running again due to frozen lower units and stress on the out drives, lower unit gears, etc.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mac, I bet the guy will be spending some on the boat in the picture.

When we had a floating dock had to get it moved out and in every other year. I could stand the 5 foot draw down but not the 9 foot. Left my boat in the water for 10 years. Since I'm a fair weather fisherman and never went out in the winter we decided to build a stationary dock. Then they stop lowering the lake 9 foot until this year. :eek:oooh:
    This lake is terrible rough here in the summer due to boat traffic and you could hardly stand on our floating dock.