Winter dam fishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kickin_wing, Nov 20, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been hearing from some people locally that the blue cats have been biting good here in quincy IL below the dam. How do i fish below dams for blue cats ( what techniques), and what do i need to set up for fishing there besides the obvious boat and fishing rod?

2. TheIrishApprentice

TheIrishApprentice New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, I don't know what the dams like up there but down in Tennessee we usually drift or look for isolated structure. We use 3 and 4oz. weights to drop. We use 80 lb. braided line with 60 lb. mono with a 7'o or 8'o hook. I would try drifting over some spots first and if that doesn't work then try fishing some of the isolated spots. It might take longer to catch one but the bigger ones are usually isolated. Hope this helps.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Bet they will be in the slack water but close to the current. As the bait should be there and the fish will follow.
    Pete

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Fishing below dams has been pretty productive in my short experience.

I've only done it from shore, but most everybody uses a slip bobber rig, got snagged up too many times fishing the bottom. I go 20-30 feet deep, and sometimes deeper. They do tend to hold in the slack current as Shiloh said.

Basically if you get there and see a ton of baitfish which is common, you can bet the kitties are around.

Katmaster Jr has a writeup on this forum about dam fishing.