Winter Creek Chubs in Iowa

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Brother Dave, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Brother Dave

Brother Dave New Member

State:
    Williamsburg Io
    Hey, just wanted to know, I am trying to stockpile some creek chubs for spring. Caught a couple yesertday, can you freeze them and do they put off the same smell? Also do they hole up in the winter. Now that the weather is turning worse, can I still catch them all winter?
    I am from Arkansas, so I don't know about these things here in the colder climates.

Stay safe, Jesus Loves You!
    Brother Dave
    2nd Thess. 3.5

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Where in iowa did you get them? im in Council Bluffs...where in iowa is your town?

3. Brother Dave

Brother Dave New Member

State:
    Williamsburg Io
    I am in southeast iowa, on I-80 30 miles west of Iowa City. Do you know where the big outlet mall is on I-80? That's where we are.
    Thanks Cat, I appreciate talking with ya,
    Brother Dave

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm thinking you might struggle to find them today. I'm in the S.E. Corner of the state(Keokuk), and it's a might brisk today. Welcome to the BOC. Later Andy

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I catch them in my perch traps all winter. I vaccum pack them and they seem to work good for Blue and Channels. In the spring I use them alive under a big float for flatheads if I can't get bullheads.

6. festus

festus New Member

Dave, I can't help you find them in Iowa because I'm in Tennessee, but frozen creek chubs are effective. Anglers use them for tipping jigs for walleye and sauger fishing down here, and also cut up for catfishing. I'm lucky to have a creek in my backyard full of creek chubs. However during this cold weather, they aren't nearly as active and are slow to hit hook and line.

7. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Look for any field tiles running into the creeks in your area and put out some minow traps. The running water from the tile provides oxygen and it will usually keep the ice open so your traps don't freeze in. You can also try a dip net in these areas too. As a last resort you can trap under the ice if you want to. Best bet is finding the deeper holes and starting there. Drill, chip or cut a hole in the ice and drop your traps in. If you're lucky enough to find a beaver dam holding some water back, I would start there.
    The cold and the ice make finding bait alot of work but if you can get 1-2 good honey holes you'll find the baitfish can get really concentrated. Be careful on the ice, current and ice can change daily. Anchor your traps well as floating ice can carry them off.
    Good luck!!

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Im not sure if i do know but i think i do...About 3 and a half hours from Council Bluffs maybe?...Where do you catch you creek chubs?