winter channel catfish?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohio hilljack, Dec 25, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey guys any of you done any open lake fishing for channels in the winter. I caught five the thursday after Thanksgiving then went the next week on Saturday and never got a nibble.We marked fish but never got any to bite, was using cut shad that we got from the lake part of the day and frozen shad the rest of the day. Anyone know where we should have been looking for fish? I thought we would do alright fing along the deeper sides of the old channel where the water was dee but that never panned out. I'm not going to give up this madness this winter ,we kinda like being looked at like we are crazy.

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    We caught some in the ohio river Friday. None too big but five channels and two blues. We caught all of them in twelve feet of water . Since there are much deeper holes all around down there do any of you think they would be shallow in the lakes. Or did the heavy current force them to take cover in around the banks to keep from being swept away.

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have been thinking about hittin a few local spots see if I can coax a channel into biting better than sittin at home

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I haven't had much luck lake fishing in the winter, but river fishing is different all together. Hitting the Big O tomorrow for a little while if I can catch some bait.

Smaller baits and a slower drift sound like the ticket for lake Channel catfish.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Five fish ain't too bad Willie. I think the weather put a damper on your abilities to catch the big one

6. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    first of all your not crazy at all,if u go to the IL catfishing on here i talk about winter fishing all the time,for all you liver users,im tellin u now i used to use liver but got tired of it,BUT in winter time i will still use it if u look there are pics of the channels,but shad will work as well.but we r not crazy for fishing in it at all when your catching fish.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I am going to get out and his the great miami when the water is a little better near one of the low dams i fish rick

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i know when the temps rise,or the sun is out shining brightly,they will come up on shallow flats to get some warm sun in,and i think the baitfish do the same,which helps draw them there.