winter channel catfish - How do you catch them?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by CJ21, Dec 21, 2005.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering do cats bite in winter, and how do u catch em in the winter?

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sure! I usually target the deepest water I can find. In smaller rivers, I fish deep holes on the outside bend or where one creek.river runs into another. There is also a deep hole right below the dam that can be good. In lakes, I try to find a bend in the old river channel. My best, however, is fishing the warm water discharge area of a local power plant lake. During winter I only use cut bait (shad, bluegill, etc.). Haven't had much luck with anything else. And remember to keep warm! :)

3. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    personally i think they bite better in winter then the rest ofthe year.

Was out the other weekend with a buddy and between us both landed over 75 channels!Then again i wasoutthispastSunday and only got 6,but was only out fer a couple hours cause wind was pickin upandgotprettychillyoutthere.

4. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What were you useing??
    I'm going fishing for the first time tommorow

5. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I ment this will be my first winter fishing, I see someone posted cutbait which is my favorite bait, Hopefully I'll catch some.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only winter bait I use is cut shad, or skipjack..I have caught some very nice channel cats, in some very cold water..I look for deep holes with little current.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Around here in Central California the cats get a lil sluggish. Being mobile (run and gun) works for me. Winter time means the cats are less active. Atleast around here.

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    wirenets for channels and blues.
    trotlines with shiners or goldfish for flatheads.

winter is my fav time to whiskerfish.

9. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    I couldn't agree more. Rob and I live in Cali and fish the same river/delta system. I, too, find the cats to go off the bite from around Nov to late Feb in this area. Don't know why?

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Diego..... Welcome to the BOC. Yep the bite turns slow. Ya have to work for em. Be mobile , but its hard when you take wood and all...lol
    Were bout you at in Cali Diego?

11. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Cats in the delta system seem to be real deep they ones closer to shore are very small we got a few the other day that where around 6 inches used one for bait but didn't get anything.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Man I didnt think Cali had a winter time unless your up in the mountains. Lots of good advice, try different baits and be ready to move.

13. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    mostly chicken liver,and cutbaits.
    They are sluggish,but usually they're stacked up together and when you find 1 you find them all.

Was out yesterday,water tempwas32-36 but only managed 6.Dunno what happened they were there on the FF but couldn't hook em.The bait lloked to be sucked on each time i reeled it in but no fish? Go figure.

Gonna give it another go tommorrow.

Christmas Kittys!!!!!!!!

14. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    During the winter i use fresh chicken livers and cut bait.

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    you can catch channels year around here. The best place are usually the deepest hole in the river with little current. And i have good luck on cut shad and skipjack, granted you might have to use smaller pieces of cutbait then you would use in the summer. And if you dont have those 2 baits chicken livers should do the trick because of how bloody they are.

16. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    I'm near Sacramento, Robb.

Right now the rivers are BLOWN out around here. Would you guys recommend fishing deep holes or shallow flats in strong current?

17. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I caught about 30 today,only 2 keepers,one about 4lbs,the other about 2lbs..Fished two different spots,but nothing but dinks.They only thing i could get them to hit was shrimp and mussels.It has been in the 70's the lasy 4 days.Both spots are where a small creek meets the main creek channel.
    Ernie

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    70"s? my god your killin me, it got to 50 here yesterday and it felt like paradise

19. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I live in South Central Pennsylvania, and in the winter i catch a lot of Channels. I fish on the Susquehanna River at a warm water discharge from a power plant. I bundle up, take a couple poles, a few pounds of chicken livers, and go fishin'.

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i will hit the deep holes on the cold days and if you get a few days that a real warm i will hit the shallows