Winter Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by Catfish Jaw, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What's your best bait durin' the winter? I don't usually go much, but I thinkin' I will go alot more than usual! I want to catch a big winter CAT!!!
    Thanks, :0a18:

2. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Come on Please! I need some help for the winter.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    justin, i use the same baits that i use any other time but patience is the ticket when the water cools off in winter. those old catfish get sluggish and dont move too fast when they're cold. they say that the big ones will congregate in a slow current winter hole and there may be several fish in the same hole just waiting for you to drop a bait in front of their nose. good luck with the winter fishing. hope you get a goodun.

4. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Justin I don't really know. I've only fished one winter which was the last one and caught a few fish but not much at all. I have been told to use the same baits as any other time and like said before find some slow current deep holes. I have also been told that the bigguns gather in those special places in the winter but have yet to find the "honey hole". I will give it a whirl this year too. Good Luck to you.

5. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    We still use skipjack and shad during the winter. You will likely need to find some deeper slower current areas from what I have found anyway.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Use the same baits except down size because their metabolism works slower when it gets colder and fish slower

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Same baits as other times of the year. I don't change my bait, its more about location and presentation during the winter