Winter Catfishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by cliu, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What is the deal with winter catfishing. I have never tried it, always waited till spring. Do you drift for them , jig for them, or just fish like you do in the summer time for them. I always hate it when the summer is gone, but I have found out that you can fish in winter also. So, any help winter catfishermen.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You can certainly catfish in the winter. It's mostly going to be blues, but flatheads can be caught too, just not as often. Here in the SE part of the state it doesn't really get cold enough to drive the blues into the deep holes only. You can catch them anywhere, but we usually concentrate on the tail outs of deep outside bends. That's the best areas we've found but flats can be productive as well. Also, those blues will move further down river than any other time of year. They'll start moving up river around the end of April. Hope some of this helps.

3. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i catch more big catfish in these three months, just find the baitfish, and if they are all balled up the blues will be under them, watch for the birds they will always tell you where the catfish are located

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I catch all my biggest blues from late october through january.