Winter catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Douglas Foster, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I've seen several members say that catfishing is best during the winter months. My question is-Are you fishing from a boat or from the bank? I'm a bank fisherman, and I didn't have any luck at all the few times I tried during the cold. I assumed that my favorite summertime shallow water spots would be inactive and I moved to deep water closer to the dam. Not even a nibble. So, how do you guys do it? Boat or bank. Shallow or deep.
    As long as you're giving away your secrets, what do you use for bait? I have some shad in the freezer that was caught this summer. What about worms and chicken livers. Or minnows? I'm wishing it was March already.
    Thanks for your help. Doug

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Doug- I fish from a boat in deep water for blues using fresh shad. Throw out your frozen shad from last summer it is too old in my opinion.

catman george

3. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i agree, first thing you have to do is find good topo maps of the water around your area, this may be as easy as going to wally world, or on the web. but however you do it, you haveto find out where the deep water comes close to shore or in the case of rivers, where the holes are. after that it gets alittle easier. the only bait i use for blues is fresh cut shad. the only bait i use for flatheads is live bluegill 4 to 6 in. big tackle, good quality line and you wont get your hart broke as much. hooks get dull by going thru bait over and over, get rid of them. hope this helps.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    im with the reast of these guys on this you need to find the deep holes this will be my 2 year fishing the winter cold waters for them big blues im fishing from a boat i look for score hole drop offs any deep water that you can find

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Good Topo maps are a real asset for finding blues in deep water in the winter. When shore fishing look for those river channels that come close to shore on your lakes....especially ones that come to points on the lake. There also good chances to catch some nice blues in very shallow water in the winter. Blue cats are looking for food, very deep water can be slightly warmer and you'll find baitfish and the blues will be there also. Very shallow water can be slightly warmer also. Several sunny days will warm that shallow water and I've caught lots of shad in water less than 3 feet in the coldest of winter days. Fishing from the bank in the winter, Id be looking to fish wind blown shorelines and points during nice sunny days. You'll be able to catch them in shallow water during these conditions. Good Luck.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, on what those other fellas said, and I would re-emphasize, if you freeze shad you may as well throw it away. It is just too mushy when it thaws, and you loose some of the oils or scents from the frozen shad. Try using two or three large minnows threaded on a hook like a worm, or even shrimp. If its not fresh shad, in my opinion, your fishing but wasting your time also.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
  9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    One other thing I have found over the years.... don't wear a burnt orange or bright orange shirt. Catfish just don't like them colors. LOL

10. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have found that they like red and white colors of shirts, hats, or jackets best, you'd be suprised how smart they are, haha

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Your both wrong, you have to wear camo to sneak up on them in the winter:smile2:. Or it could be that the only warm cloths i own are camo:wink:.

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Now!! Don't go bashing orange or us Cowboys will have to cut off your supply of beef,pork,chicken,eggs, lamb,fishing ponds, hunting lands, and bread. OOH and Lawrence..... your supply of inside fishing info is getting threatened:big_smile: LOL

catman george

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Doug, I'd have to say that most of the folks who are catching lots of wintertime cats are fishing from a boat. Some are doing it from the bank, though.

The number one key to catching cats during the winter (just like the summer) is good bait. Never use frozen shad, it just doesn't work worth a crap. As you've probably already noticed, shad are fickle little fish & die easily. This is one of the main reasons that catfishing can be so fantastic when the water cools off drastically. The shad either go deep or die, and both scenarios cause catfish to concentrate. If the shad die, you can go to the wind blown side of Ellsworth (usually the shallow north end) and catch cats feeding on the dead shad blowing into the bank. If the shad are gonna live, they have to go to the deepest part of the lake & hole up.... this concentrates the heck out of both the shad and the cats. The reason most guys are catching these fish from a boat is because they can mark both the bait and the cats on a fishfinder & wear 'em both out.

During the winter months, you'll also notice all those silly black "water turkeys" come into Ellsworth. Those are cormorants. They swim around all day eating shad. When they go to roost at night, guess what they poop..... SHAD. Catfish will be under the roosts of those birds, guaranteed. If you get there early in the morning when the birds fly off their roost, you can catch the daylights out of the catfish using punchbait underneath a small slip bobber. The birds fly off the roost & plop a turd in the water. This is what you simulate with your punchbait. Throw it next to a tree & let it plop into the water. Wait a few seconds & if a fish doesn't slam it within 4 or 5 seconds, reel it up & throw it at a different tree. This is really fast-paced & fun fishing, and you can put some serious numbers of cats in the boat. I've always figured that the dead trees right there west of the dam would be good for this, you might give 'em a try.

Hope this helps.

14. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    So Jerrod, the north end of Ellsworth is good this time of year? And are there any good places that I could get to from the bank, since I dont have a boat?

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The key, as everyone else emphasises, is FRESH SHAD, still bleeding. I fish from a boat and locate the shad in deep water, then obtain some with a castnet with an extra long rope to allow the net to decend to the deep water shad.

Then, having just found the shad, the blues will be just below them, picking off weak and dying shad as they fall from the school. Use the boat's electronics to maintain position above the school of shad and catch a boatload of blues from under and around the school.

16. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fish from both bank and boat find the outside bend in the channel and use very dead shad I love the winter kill of shad and hunt the spots they wash into shore. good luck

17. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    What temp do shad start 2 die off?
    thanks
    -fishingrl

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fresh, fresh cutbait is the way to go. Look for the deep holes and fish with the same confidence that you have in the summer. The bite may slow down a bit in the middle of winter, but there are still some good fish to be caught. Btw I fish from the bank.

19. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Threadfin shad start to die at 41 degrees in NC. Mac

20. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I was still doing pretty good three or four days ago when the temperature was in the low 80's. Tomorrow there's a chance for snow. Welcome to Oklahoma!
    You Brothers have given me some good advice and I'm going to try to follow it. I appreciate your help and your willingness to share. Thanks to all, Doug