Winter catfishing?

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by stovepipe, Oct 1, 2006.

1. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive only tried it once or twice on the Ohio, i was just wondering if anyone has had any luck catfishing in the dead of winter. Some would say you would have to be a die hard to do it, but that is just what i am. Even though the big one has still yet to grace me, i will never stop the quest.
    I have fished the Ohio in the winter and caught alot of stripers but never a cat.
    Thanks in advance
    steve

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We do some fishing in the winter and some of our bigger blues have come now. I've sat out there and had to keep moving to keep the snow off. We fish deep water that is slack water, ex: a deep hole at the mouth of a creek. good luck!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Winter fishing is the best fishing for size and numbers. The lake I fish you can pretty much find the fish in your normal fishing spots as long as the water temperature is 40 degrees or above. From 35 to 40 degrees water temperature look for them in transition closer to deep water and when the water temperature drops below 35 stick to deep water. Dress warm and be extra careful other than that Winter time is the best time in my opinion.

4. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I just read today about how good winter blue cat fishing can be, especially when the water is in the 40s to low 60s. i hear the channels and flats don't bite as well at those temps, but if you find them, you'll probably find lots of them stacked.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thats right winter fishing is cold but my brother got me into it years ago weve caught good fish year round on the ohio river . iv been out when it was so cold my eyes on my rod froze over and still caught nice blues . the flatheads dont bite much if at all when it gets cold infact i dont ever recall catching a flathead in the winter time.

6. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive caught and seen many huge cats through a hole in the ice. fish it deep with like a dead shad 4to 6 inches long under a tip up. seen a guy cutting 3 10 in holes right next to each other in alike a circle pattern to get the fish through the ice. MONSTERS, i swear it. also for a good ole tim, look for channel cats suspended half deep in water rancing 15 to 30 ft. a large sized gold ice fishing spoon, like a sweedish pimple, works GREAT!

7. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Zach ive heard of people catching big cats through the ice but never have fished for them. Fished some really cold water. Just might have to try it this year. Hope we get better ice this year. :cool2:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yep, winter is one of the most rewarding times of the year for catfishing. As said in a previous post, most times only diehard fishermen will fish in this tyope of weather, "separates the men from the boys" so to speak, LMAO!!!
    It is a well known fact that Blues like cold water, and what better time than winter to find it. Don't let a little cold weather dampin youir spirits, go for it!!! You can don coveralls and coats and brave the elements to catch a fish of a lifetime.

9. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A few years ago me and my dad went out on to the ohio and fished for an hour. We were using turkey bacon. Caught 5 channels in an hour. Was about 30 degrees out. we were fishing from a small dock. Had alot of fun catching them. Since then i havnt caught a channel on turkey bacon. Might only be good in the winter. Hope that helps.