Winter Catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Jul 19, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have been thinking about doing some fall and winter catfishing at my local lakes, this year I am wondering is a good idea?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thats a great idea less fishing pressure and less pleasure boaters. Fish eat year round so I like to fish year round.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    CJ, fall is one of my favorite times to chase those bigger cats.....if your after Blues and Channel Cats, they can be caught all winter long! So heck yes get out there after them and you will see what makes the Blue Cats my preferred Cat.

The best times of the year as far as I am concerned is April-May and then mid Sept through Mid November.

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    One of the most productive times of the years is fall/winter. One reason is because during that period the shad go through a period called "shad kill", atleast thats what people in our area call it. A large percentage of shad die during the time(starting in fall). The dieing shad fall to the bottom and eventually if not eatin drift into the channels. If you can get some shad for bait, drift fish them over the channels.

My 2nd and 3rd biggest fish were caught December and January of last year. I would fish winter over any other time of the year.

5. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    With all this depressing heat here in the Midwest, I am anxious to do some winter cattin'.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

A lot of folks hit up the Mighty Mo up here in Nebraska during the winter. I've seen some big blues pulled in during that time. So fishing in the winter in Montgomery, Alabama shouldn't be unproductive. Speaking of which when I was stationed at Maxwell AFB, i didn't even consider them having a winter:tounge_out: Of course I'm a midwestern country boy. :smile2:

Good luck

SudDawg

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    CJ does Alabama even have a winter LOL, its too stinking cold here in Ohio

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    If the water temp dosent go below freezing, and i wouldnt think that it does in Bama, i would give it a try. Here in the northeast the colder the water the more dormant the catfish become. They usually stack up in deep holes, and wait for food to come to them.

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    It all depends on the water temps normal lakes and rivers will be too cold. But if you find a lake that is heated by a power plant than the water will normally be in the 60's all winter long.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The best blue fishing is in the winter by far. when you locate where the fish are you will find a bunch of fish schooled up. look for fish around structure and drop offs.

11. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways have the best luck when its cold out i would go for it

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    hey man my favorite time of year is winter for channel catfish if you find any generating stations coal or nucleur you will find fish I fish a coal generating plant in December to April and catch many big catfish with ice chunks floating on the surfac. If you have one of these places that I mentioned near you check it out By generating station I mean power plant

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    LoL we dont have no winter. guys thanks for the help.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have had caught more channel cats in the winter but for me the best time of the year is Oct Nov

15. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I say go for it, Some of my biggest fish have been caught in the winter...It is great fishing

16. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Winter produces some great fish I would say! Winter what is that? Is that the period between fall and spring? We don't have a harsh winter so year round it is!