Winter Catfishing?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jmanion8, Jun 19, 2009.

1. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So I know we're around ideal catfishing right now, for blues at least, but I've heard that catfishing, especially on the river, is good all through winter. Anybody have any tips for preparation for the winter or any advice on winter catfishing on the river? Thanks in advance and may you all hook into a nice, photo-worth fish for father's day weekend!

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have seen pictures of channels get pulled up through a hole in ice. and i know that i texas, or on lake texoma at least, many people consider the winter months to be prime trophy blue catfishing time. beyond that all i can recomend is a very potent bait, as colder water restricts the baits scent from traveling as far. so i guess that stink baits, cut herring, or soap baits would be ideal in the winter months.
    im sure im not the only one who thinks this post is a tad premature. we still have a spawn to get through before the bite stops for a few weeks, and past that will be the real good time for catfishing. we just finally got some warm weather and we are already talking about winter, that seems wrong to me:wink:

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I stop fishen in Nov for em got this deer hunting addiction. I found they bite clear into dec but after that it locks down. I dont start back up on cats till after snaggen season in may. I have found late aug to oct can be awsome fishen in the MO river for flats and blues. The water is more stable and the cats have the munchies.

4. ShotgunBill

ShotgunBill New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Caught two nice channels, on fresh asian carp, in febuary on a day when the slack water had ice on it. The fish were stacked in this whole and it looked like crappie on the fishfinder. If I did not like to duck hunt I put in more time in the fall and winter.:crazy:

5. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Didnt catch alot of blues this winter ,but in the right spot you can catch channels as fast as any spring time bite!
    We did it many times last winter,2 of us caught our limit of channels in a hour and a half on the 3rd of january!!
    One day I ran the boat into the ice and didnt even anchor,we could set our beer on the ice by the boat!!!
    Not a better tasting fish than out of 33 degree water.:wink:

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We fish for blues in the winter here in NE Oklahoma. We use live shad or perch.

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all the advice! Just plannin ahead a little bit. :wink: