Winter Catfishing Tips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnt55, Feb 5, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I posted this in the Ky forum and thought it might help some people out here on the main thread!

It is getting to be that time of year where, at least for me, hunting season has come to an end and warmer days will be popping up here and there (fingers crossed). And if I am starting to get the itch then I know there are other guys/gals out there thinking about stealing away to fish the river on one of these late winter bluebird days...so I thought it would be nice to post up some river catfish winter fishing tips for those of us lucky enough to wet a line. I'll add a couple and hopefully learn some at the same time!

Winter tip

#1- Fish when the water is stable or slowly rising
    #2- Try to find the deepest holes in outside bends with cover, then I setup at the head of them in about 40 ft of water
    #3- Live shad or frozen skipjack is what I use 100%

since I am an amateur I am sure the pros on here can share a tip or three

Bill

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    use smaller baits than you would during the summer. instead of a 6in strip in july use a 2in strip in febuary.

skipjack, mackeral,or even bluefish are oily fish and throw off a lot of scent. if you come accross any winter killed bait they'll work too.

as a bank fisherman fish the bank facing the south because it warms faster than the one facing north.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Go WHERE the fish are. The blues in our local Pee Dee migrate to the coastal waters during winter months. If you follow the fish during winter patterns, you will be successful.

Bill in SC

4. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Nice tip on fishing the bank that faces south...

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    dress warm carry extra clothes and rain gear

6. Swishersweet

Swishersweet New Member

State:
    Bourbonnais, Illinois
    Large numbers of catfish will winter over in the deepest holes of rivers. If there is an eddy current at the top of the hole, the winter killed fish will get caught in it. This is a smorgasbord for the catfish when they start feeding and a real good spot to fish. I find fishing the current break between the eddy and the main current near the upstream end of eddy is best.

7. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    100% of the fish are in 10% of the waters fish that 10%, 100% 0f your time on the water. good luck finding it.

8. C&R monster hunter

C&R monster hunter New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Deep holes, deep river bends, creek mouths. All are gwwood for the winter. Creek mouths work great all year easy food, deep water. Happy fishing

9. Jordan Hinrichs

Jordan Hinrichs New Member

State:
    Seward Nebraska
    What about tips for reservoirs?? I don't ever river fish but I might still get out once before the freeze here...I probably got two weeks or so ;p