Winter catfishing in MI?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by chumly, Jan 14, 2008.

1. chumly

chumly New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Does anyone fish for cats in Michigan during the winter? If so, how? Where, etc.? I seem to be running into dead ends when I ask for info at bait shops. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I know they do. I've heard guys where I used to work talking about getting a nice mess of channels through the ice on a local lake. But I'm not sure how or where. I've never really done any winter fishing although I wouldn't mind learning more about it. Sorry I couldn't help.

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    As far as ice fishing for channels, the only place I know of is Rogers Dam pond. It is located East off 131 in Morley. The exit is Morley/Stanwood. Go East and follow the signs to the pond. I have never fished it myself but know of several guys who got into channels there

through the ice while perch fishing with minnows. They said the fish were excellent eating as well. There is a small baitshop about 5 miles South of the pond that will have better info on the catfishing there, I think it's called Frank's Sporting Goods.

As far as open water fishing for cats goes, it's pretty tuff. Best bets would be warm water discharges in the Great Lakes, or deep holes in the lower stretches of rivers, ice permitting. The earliest I've ever fished for and caught channel cats in the Grand is late March. I've tried in February and gotten skunked. As soon as the Grand clears of ice I'll be out there bouncing spawn and running plugs for steel. I'll drop a piece of cutbait over and let yall know if the whiskered one is about.

Dan

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Dan, whats happening? I haven't heard from you lately. It's good to see you back on the site. I'm looking forward to this spring. Keep a day open for me come June.
    Sparky

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Love to get you into a big flathead this summer sparky. Early June is allready getting booked up for me, let me know when you're coming to town.

Dan

6. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Are you a guide?