WINTER CATFISHIN

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Aug 20, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I know most guys around here fish right thru the fall,but how about December thru the middle of February?Do you guys fish right on thru,or
    does it depend on the weather and how cold it actually gets?Reason I ask is I remember growing up and my father used to take a break for that time period from catfishing?Did he have a reason for this?I assume that would be the slow time here?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    In a good blue cat river system winter is the time to do some damage. LOL! If that water ain't hard get on out there. :wink:

3. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have caught some of my biggest fish in the months of Dec-Early march. The bite is slower, but the "weight" is usually worth it!:wink:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I know about late February on,I was really questioning December and January.I guess Im gonna fish basically fish right on thru then.Seems I saw Bill post something about catching a big one January 1st,and it stayed with me until I got around to askin.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We fish right on through the winter here at least one all nighter every week on tuesdays. In the spring, summer and fall, we target flatheads....but come Nov-march, were after blues. I prefer Nov & dec....but we still catch'em in Jan & feb too. Its never too cold to go fishin'.:crazy:

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    We always fished the shad run in the Tailrace where Im fishing now in March.That was when we always caught the bigger cats.Im gonna find out about December and January this year...know that.Thanks for the replys.I would fish every day of the year if I could.This beats surf fishing....sounds like I can be busy all year round.:smile2:

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Keith, one thing i have learned while fishing the Santee Lakes and the rivers flowing in and out is: There is a time and season for each part of that system. Just like you said, the March tailrace fishn is good because the cats are chasing the bait that run up to the dam. I have always loved fishn in Sept and Oct for Flatheads because they seem to be fating themselves up for the long winter. At the end of Oct and on into Dec i like fishn the river below were the wateree joins the congree and the first word i hear of the guides smoking the fish in the tree's, i'm off to lake Marion to fish the tree's. You will have to try that this yr. Go out into the Lost Forest and just stump jump, tying off to a tree and throw rods out in different directions, stay 10-15 min and move on to the next tree. Some guides leave there engine running and for some reason they seem to bite better on the rods straight down on the front of the boat. I don't do much night fishn in the winter but prefer to fish daylight hrs. Not because they won't bite, but because i'd be to cold to grab a rod:big_smile:

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you can find where the flatheads stack up in the winter you can get them to bite by jigging a bullhead straight down on them. I use a 3/4 oz. jig w/ 4/0 hook. Hook the bullhead thru the bottom or top lip and let him down to the bottom, then jig it up and down about a foot. The bite will be slow but usually it will be a good one.

9. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Great info right there,unfortunately I bank fish,so part of that I cant do.Im gonna just fish the cold months thru trial and error and see what happens.Ive always said part of the joy for me is just being there.I gotta believe in the Tailrace and Rediversion there will something around.Thanks again.

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Keith, you let me know when those fish run up the tailrace in March and i will come down. We can hook up and go out in my boat (if you don't have one by then) I always wanted to fish the race when the fish were there. Seems i'm always somewhere else. I stay away from Santee in March because of the wind, the tail race would be perfect. The open water just spooks me when the wind is blowing 20mph or more:smile2:

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Ill do that for sure bro.I will be there,so hopefully I will know.I plan on conning the dad in law into gettin into some shad as well.Those big bruisers will be there when the shad are there for sure.

12. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    wintertime=BIG BLUES:cool2:

13. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I've spent many a day freezin' my chitlins on the water! The bite can be slow, but you kin ketch some nices ones during the winter months. Jes' bundle up and take along a thermos of that "special" coffee :wink:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's right! I fish 12 months out of the year. Down here in our section of the country, it never gets too cold to fish. I fished several days where it was 15 degrees or so when we left the boat ramp. As posted:

Wintertime=BIG BLUES!!!

The majority of our Pee Dee blues migrate down to the coastal bays, hence we fish Winyah Bay out of Georgetown a lot. Winter is also bonanza time for most of our big lake systems as well. I also like to hit the James river during late fall and winter. Amazing place! Yessir, really, winter time is THE time to catch blues. The flatties hunker down and almost go dormant. They are pretty much impossible for me to catch in the winter.

Bill in the AC in SC

15. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Thanks Bill and everybody.

If Im catchin blues in the Tailrace now,I wonder if they will be there in the winter as well......

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    As much as I hate the cold its my favorite time to fish. I've been out there bank fishin all night in 17* weather , and been Ive with some of these guys here in their boats with temps in the 20's. Yea, it can get brutal but its worth it to me...I cant wait ; )

-Jim-

17. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I got a spot where Ill have me a fire goin.:big_smile:

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    dig a hole for your feet so your boots seams don't melt/come apart and keep spinning slowly....you'll be just fine, LOL.

19. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Yea, i lost my last pontoon by building a fire on it:smile2::smile2::smile2: jk

20. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Yes, they will be there. The amount of shad on the lake right at the locks during the winter is unbelievable. Water is pulled through and you should have a lot of food coming right into the tailrace for all those blues to eat. I would sit out july and august before I didn't fish through the winter. Deeper water is usually targeted on the lake during the winter, but I've seen 30 and 40 lb blues caught off the shore in the first week of Jan. I think you just need deep water close by.