winter catfishin'

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by lugnutz, Jan 21, 2009.

1. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    I have never done any winter catfishin' but now that the deer season is done seems like I have gotten the cabin itch pretty quick. Same tactics/bait for winter cats?

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Welcome to the BOC good question to start out with I wish I could help you I am sure you will get some good answers shortly though we got a good buch here

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to the BOC from SC. Its a good time to be chasing blues right now. Normal baits like herring, shad, bream work well. I myself use fresh cut bait when I can. Here blues are deeper than compared to summer time...lots of fish in the 40' deep range. Smaller channel cats can also be easily found in numbers in shallower creeks during light hours. The flats have slowed down till spring.

I'm sure the my Georgia neighbors will be on soon to help you out in your area.

4. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    some winter tactics include using smaller baits, where will you be fishing? rivers, lakes, ponds etc.? I would also reccomend somehting along the lines of heated socks and many layers...

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Welcome to the BOC lug. What part of GA are you from?

6. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Hey to all and appreciate all the coments on my thread already. That looks to be a real nice blue ya got there Marc. I live in Locust Grove and usually fish at Lake Jackson but have visited Oconee and West Point a couple of times.

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Good deal man! You should check out the thread for the upcoming GA BOC gathering at West Point in April (under "member gatherings"). I am not familiar with the area you live in though. I usually do my fishing in TN anymore. There are a bunch of knowledgable GA folks that I am sure will help you out in your area. Good luck!

8. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    copy that!! I have been checkin out the progress of the plans for last hour or so and sounds good. I hope to be there.

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Is there any cats in Jackson? I thought of heading down there and going up the yellow river and trying, but never did.

10. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Well everbody says there is,, I caught abot a 10 lber up in a cove down near Martins marins over the summer,,, I plan to find out though fer myself,,,I have only been fishin there regular over this past summer.

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    it's good to have another ga member on the board......you fish oconee very often?

12. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Only a couple times over this past summer.

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    that's cool, what ramp do you usually use? i mostly put in at swords..and fish up the apalachee arm, go up the oconee every now & then......i want to put in more time up around the 278 bridge and the indian mounds

14. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Coming from Locust Grove,,right off 16,, I believe its called Berrys on the south end,, but sounds like a plan I havent really spent a lot of time there to be that familiar with it,,this weekend has been nice but my wife had minor surgery and have been by her side,,shes ok though,,maybe go in the near future,, she loves it as uch as I do..

15. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Garrett,,
    Hope you guys can make the gathering,, Man I wish I could get my wife more interested in fishing, she will go, but I spend the whole day baiting hooks and helping her out...:eek:oooh:
    Puddle

16. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    When my children were young and they went fishing with me I had already resolved that I most likely would not be doing as much fishing as I was teaching. its just that quality time thing. My wife is a lot more independent on the boat now than she was when she first started fishing with me. She still cant bait a cricket, one day we were on a bed of small bream and I must have baited almost a hundred crickets for her that day but she giggling like a kid everytime she caught one.