Winter Catfish!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TonyJr, Sep 17, 2006.

1. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What bait do y'all like best to use when the weather starts to turn cool/cold? What method works best? I'll be jugging and doing some tightlining when it cools down and was wanting to see what works for people from different areas. Thanks for all info given!:cool2::cool2:

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My 2 best fishing trips were during winter/early spring.

First trip was on Easter, we drift fished shad over some main channels in the lake. Caught fish all day for 10 hours straight, totaled 60 fish between maybe 2-6#'s.

We then went next year with the same guy in early december, did the same techinque but also included 12 inch buffalo/carp as bait and ended with 23 cats between 3-15#'s.

Funny thing about the December trip was that is was 28 that morning, and our guide actually caught shad in his cast net. The front of the boat froze over from the water that the net brought aboard. We had something like 3 layers of cloths on and it didnt seem to help. But the fishing was great.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like to use shinners wired on like worms or chicken liver:tounge_out:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I stick with the same cut bait as any time of the year, but if there is a significant shad kill this year I may switch up to shad to see if it makes a difference.

5. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Are shad still easy to catch in the winter?

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been using shad, when I can find them, herring and large minnows (cut). Even use gill heads on occassion

7. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Give me a long declining point into 25 or 30 ft. of Well oxygenated water (a day or two of brisk wind works, especially if the night temperatures are dropping into the 40s) a few fresh caught shad, carp bellies or 4 in. live shiners and I'll have the recipe for a great day of fishing here on Truman Lake....... The majority of our larger fish come when the water surface temperature drops to around 50 degrees or lower. During deer season (November) Grandma will drop me off on a secluded bank, I deer hunt she catches fish.

8. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Do y'all usually caught the bigger ones in the winter?

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes over all, on average the fish will be bigger in the winter. At a lake I fish at "Lewisville Lake" its almost a ritual for the big blue hunt to start during the winter months. Its spoken like its common knowledge that winter = bigger blues. I can tell you in the last 2 years since we heard about it, on average our fish are about 2-3# heavier during our winter trips. And my biggest 3 fish on rod and reel were all caught between nov-april.