Winter Catfish: is it true

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by skippy, Oct 10, 2005.

1. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I have heard that as the water gets colder that u can still catch some monster cats even through winter but u will catch more on cut or dead bait instead of live. Is this true at all? Any input would be appreciated.

skippy

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    blues bite in much colder water than most other cats. also channel cats can be caught through the ice. once the water hits somewhere in the 40 degrees area flatheads go dormant. they stop feeding and look for somewhere to lay in the current and reside there for the winter. there are stories that some folks jig for flatheads in the winter. thats exactly what that is. a story. they are snagging them from wholes and structure where they are laying.

3. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    thanks cats4uandme, what about dead or live bait?

4. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Yea best time for Big Blues is late fall early spring imo i have caught Channels ice fishing for trout before with hole baited with corn.I use cut skipjack and shad or gills for Blues and Channels and live gills or shad for Flatheads but they dont bite in cold weather like Blues and Channels.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I catch mine on live extra-large minnows and cut/live white perch.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Skippy, here on Milford Lake in Kansas, the water temp is now down to 65 degrees (surface) and the fishing is much better than when it was above 70deg. We've also been catching more Blues than Channels. The majority on cutbait, Goldeye, a few on shrimp, very few on live shad.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jim I heard a story once when I was stationed at Ft Carson that if the wind ever stopped blowing in Kansas everyone would fall down because you all had to lean in to it year round.Is that true old soldier?Are you getting any of that Colo blizzard they just had?

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Cats in colder water slow down their actions. So yes catching them on dead bait is easier, they do not have to work as hard to eat it.

-brian

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Let me say I'm not doing this to Pi$$ you off.
    But I will tell you something. You can catch Flatheads in Winter. And in the mouth. With the bait down inside the mouth. Not snagging.
    Theres more caught here at Pickwick with people fishing with sauger jigs tipped with minnows.
    And everyone I catch is in the mouth. Not out side. Also they hit hard not just dead weight.
    Now I know most everything you read states they can't be caught only snagged.
    But If I'm able this winter I hope to show a lot of pictures of Flatheads from cold water. And it will be in water 40 degrees cold or colder.

Now I don't know if its because of the current here on the Tn river. But they do feed in the winter. Also I have cleaned quite a few in the dead of winter. And they have food in the gut. Drum or small channel cats, And cut bait.

Now this may be only here. And up north it may change..

Have a great day

Pete

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I agree Shilo, flatheads are caught here in NC and at Santee in very cold water.It may be up north the waters get colder than here but flatheads generally don't go completely dormant and may stir and feed a little in even the coldest water.In-Fisherman would be a good source on info on this subject.I have also read of the situation described where flatheads were snagged deliberately by folks trying to do that in the winter time.

11. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I have read many articles that say flatheads could be caught in the winter, I quess I was looking for some validation to try and get one this winter in the ohio river

skippy

12. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    keep the info comin if you all can think of anything that will help me bring em in this winter

13. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm glad to see this brought up again.I've try to start post after post and they fail.All that talk about not being able to catch Flatheads in the winter has always been myth to me.It depends on your location I'm sure.I'm also sure it's not true for all rivers and lakes.When someones states it can't be done ,to me thats saying it can't be done anywhere.I have always disagreed with the myth.I started a post in the flathead section a few days ago wanting men to post their flathead catches they have this winter and where they are and the water temps.Myself ,here in S.C. I catch flatheads all winter long,sure they may not be as many ,but I catch them.I want to post pictures and info this fall and winter .People that give up on the flatheads come cold weather are missing out on some fine fish.I love to see post like this,makes me feel more sane,maybe everyone won't think I'm coocoo anymore,maybe.Thanks men ,this is a good post and dog gone good question,I'm sure it will enlighten some folk :D

14. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    I have caught all types of catfish in the dead of winter. It all boils down to the bait you use and the location that you fish. Have not had any luck in the winter with stink bait. Live or cut bait has always been my bait of choice for the colder months. Deeper holes with some kind of current or a channell of some sort with cover nearby is usually the best place to hunt for their winter holding areas. You have to search for the location that will hold the size of fish that you are looking for. If you start catching a bunch of small fish at one location and you are looking for the big boys then you must move or be prepared to sit and wait untill the larger fish, which may or may not, wander into that particular hole to feed.
    One last thing I find it hard to believe that a flathead will go without eating anything for 4 months. They just try to conserve there energy and slow down.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well my 2 cents and as i tell everybody who ask me at show and seminars.
    Big catfish season here in maryland starts around october and runs to late march. I love to fish in this time i will catch just as many fish with bigger size fish. If the ice will let me on the river i will fish. bites slow down but the fish get bigger.

16. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    Glad you are happy about this post, I will try to keep u updated through out the winter. thanks for your input everyone. :D

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Cold water in the winter months in my opinion is the best time of the year for trophy class blue cats. December seems to be one of the best here on Lake of the Ozarks.{Because} The big blues will be stacked up in the deeper holes. Learn your depth finder and set up at the top side of the holes where it is showing the consentration of big fish. We use cut bait (shad).

18. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    cant speak for other locations but down here in bayou country i catfish from october thru may and without a doubt the peak is january thru march. trotlines strung along hole drop-offs suspended a few feet off the bottom baited w/ goldfish or bluegills for the flatheads and the wirenets baited with stinkycheese for the blues. yo-yo's baited with shiners (known as minnows to you northern brothers) for the crappie and bass. of course anything can eat anything but this is enough the case to say it in generalities.

seems that when it starts getting hot down here i end up with more channels in the nets than blues and too many goo (a trash fish) get on my trotlines, add that to the snakes and gators i just wait till it cools off again in the fall.

19. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    IMO
    i think theres alotta "FAIR WEATHER" fishermen who just don't wanna go out in the cold and fish!
    I'll be oout all winter as long as the air temp doesn't drop below 4o.

I'll go a day or two without a bite in the summer but during the winter i'll usually catch chanels each trip.A fishfinder makes it easy,just find a hole in the water thats holding a fish and theres usually a mess of em stacked in there

20. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i fish the same water as mudhole and i dont catfish in the winter because of our great striper fishery but i have caught cats while doing it. i think blues bite better esp. if there is current. i caught a flattie in january couple of yrs back in 40 ft of water on a herring that was freelined out behind the boat. i saw something once where they were trying to have a season enforced for flatheads because they are so easy to catch and snag in deep wintering holes over the winter. it said if you can find a deep hole there may be alot laying in it, and you hurt a fishery in a hurry.