Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

winter carp

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  FlatheadManiacScott 
#1 ·
can ya catch carp in the winter months,,,,seen vids on you tube ( of course ) in england catching carp in cold weather ,,but they didn't specify the water temp. kinda curious.

#5 ·
we just caught a bunch two days ago. i don't know what the water temp was, but i busted a hole in 2" thick iceto catch em. bait was biscuit dough on a #14 treble, weightless.
trout fishing

#6 ·
They can be caught in winter but the approach changes. Smaller baits are the usual way to go. I use more particle baits like corn in the winter, instead of boilies. Although boilies still have their place in the winter, just limited.

I switch to bread pack in cold water but still run grits some. Fish become slower moving and metabolism drops though.

I know of 2 friends of mine that caught and released over 100lbs of car maybe closer to 200 on new years even through new years day with air temps in the low teens.

It can be done, my attempt will be this weekend after elusive koi.

#9 ·
Yes you can , my PB in the Winter was 30.09 lbs. and was caught the day after a very bad snow storm.
In Winter you look for slow deeper pools that offer some cover (my flathead holes in summer) im talking rivers , most lakes here freeze over in winter.

Down size baits , the bites will be very light sometimes , so watch your rod tips and line.

I fish european style with a rod pod or banksticks and electronic alarms so I dont have to sit there and stare at my rods.

Scott

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.