winter camping

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by derail, Apr 4, 2008.

1. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Figured I'd see if anyone else out there liked to camp in the winter. Me and some buddies been goin out year round for a long time. No bugs, crowds, loud neighbors. Its gotta be my favorite.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Me personally I like camping summer, to cold for me to camp winter

3. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I would dure love to go in winter, but can't because of chronic bronchitis. My lungs don't get along too well with cold air!!:angry: I usually stay in and curse the cold and plan my big springtime escape!:roll_eyes: My brother-in-law out in CO and his two sons love to build igloos and ice caves and camp during the winter. To each his own I guess.
    Deb

4. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    We don't have much of a winter here in east texas. But I still love to camp in the winter time. more blankets and coats. Not as many bugs.:wink::big_smile_2:

5. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have a touch of asthma that the Kansas humidity agravates, so the cold dry air in the winter is actually refreshing for me. I'm also "naturally":smile2: insulated.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I too am "Naturally Insulated" :smile2:

I love to camp in the winter, but getting out of the warm sleeping bag in the morn is rough:wink:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Down here in Alabama, winter is really a nice time to camp, no bugs and comfortable sleeping...but we don't get too cold either. When I lived in Alaska I have camped in alot of cold weather I love it...but a few times in very cold, -20 below zero and colder, the fun of it wears off pretty quick...It's REALLY hard to get out of a sleeping bag in weather like that..lol :smile2:

Attached Files:

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've winter camped quite a bit, and there are things I really enjoy about it. The main negative is that the nights are so long. If your in a group and have a warm place to hang out it's one thing, but when you are out there by yourself with only a sleeping bag to keep warm 14 hours of darkness is just too much.

9. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    While I have camped in the winter I prefer late fall and early spring. -20 below ...man your a trooper. I would have wuzzed out and went to a motel.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    On that trip in the pics it wasn't that cold...maybe like 20. But we were dropped off by a plane and it didn't come back for almost 2 weeks. We used to hunt caribou up by Prudoe bay where the pipeline starts, that's were I've camped probably at about -40. Had to leave the truck running for 3 days, if it shut off for any period of time you run the risk of it not starting again. I specifically remember waking up to caribou running by our camp and hurrying to get up and see if there were any big bulls in the group. I couldn't get my boots on cause they were so frozen....:confused2::big_smile:

11. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Wow Mike, I was talking about camping in the winter not in a freezer. There's been a few times here in Kansas and over in Missouri that we had to take our beer and put it in the cooler to thaw it enough to drink. Darn wind froze it right up on the ground. :big_smile:

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I drove my truck up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse / Prudhoe Bay last September. I caught the tail end of summer, that's sure some remote country to be out in in the winter!

Attached Files:

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    That's a helk of a road ain't it? I've drove it several times in summer and winter. Man it's cold and windy in the winter....but best northern lights you'll ever see. Were they out when you were up there?

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yep, It was a neat thing to do - once :big_smile: I figure that it was a 1000 mile round trip from the main highway, and about 75% unpaved. The paved sections were worse than the gravel because of the frost heaves. But it was really great overall, some real pretty country in places. I was just amazed at how much activity took place up there, and there were a bunch of hunting and outfitter groups set up. I missed out on the northern lights, and I didn't get to see a polar bear. And I got to Deadhorse a couple of weeks too late to take the oilfield tour.

One thing, it was a neat place to visit, but Deadhorse is about the bleakest place I have ever been. I'm sure that it pays well, and that's a good thing because working up there would be a drag once the novelty wore off.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I always wanted to drive the Alcan highway.My father was one of the many Army engineers who built it in WW2.He surveyed it too,so he said he got to walk it first and then go back and clear it.He also drove trucks and operated all heavy equipment.He said that the weather was quite a shock for a young fellow born and raised in Mobile Alabama.He also learned to appreciate Alabama's skeeters and gnats!

We slept and stayed where ever we were at summer and winter when fishing or hunting when I was coming up.Boat seats,river banks and woods year round.The same when grown.2 to 5 days max.in a open aluminum boat year round at times off the Georgia Coast when I lived on Tybee Island.I can and have lived out of two metal 5 gallon buckets for up to a week at a time.I slept sitting on one leaning against a tree down wind in rain,sleet and cold.Also slept in the middle of leaf piles,hollow logs,in 55 gallon drums,on huge Live Oak limbs and under the bridge on interstate highways.I could curl up like a dog and sleep most anywhere for most of my life in any weather until I got sick.I was just blessed with a gift as cold and heat did not bother me like most.Also,all of my fires would have fit in a coffee can year round.

Staying in a campground and camping are two completely different things to me.When you camp there are no facilities.Now I do have all of the gear with the bells and whistles for when a woman or city folk go along.I just don't need them.I have been known to take a air conditioner along when fishing out of a campground.I did not do such when camping.There has never been electricity at one of my campsites.

I worked a 7 day swing shift out side for most of my life.you took the weather as it came.I did the same with my outdoor life.I never remember the weather keeping me home.I just changed my plans if necessary.I had it all to my self much of the time.Folk call me crazy,but I enjoyed my life.I had to work in a ice storm,I enjoyed being out in the boat in one far more.If I was home,they always called me in to work in it,usually a hundred feet off the ground wearing a harness and life line,.Either way,I WAS going to be out in the worst weather.I liked it best my way.It was way more comfortable and far safer.It is a wonderful world out there when the weather and conditions are rough.Most choose to miss it.I surly miss it as I can not even get in the Sun light now.I can still drape a poncho over me while sitting and sit in a January rain.My canes are waterproof,and this is South Georgia.It ain't bad at all.Now if I could just get someone to take me to the river in the rain!:big_smile:

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. KS_coyotee

KS_coyotee New Member

State:
    Kansas
    derail,

the coldest I have ever camped was this past january at the trapper's rendevous at Harvey County West Lake park. It was 4 degrees above zero on January 19th. Around 0430 hours the coleman gas propane heater lost its fuel supply and I had to put another bottle on. It took about 10 minutes to relight.

We had plenty of sleeping bags. But the nice thing is no critters to worry about.

Ks_coyotee

17. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Now this kind of weather is something that I don't miss about Maine where I learned to make and sleep in a snow cave or shelter chinked with snow or with ice by slowly pouring water over it.That ice sure stopped the wind!Those Native Americans up there have got it down when they have to stay out!

One of the most miserable 4 days that I ever remember in my life was started by the day that I made 7 miles on a pair of Snow Shoes.I had never had on a pair before and was young and dumb.I had been watching too many movies!If I would have had to walk 7 more in the next 3 days.I would still be there!

For those who have never enjoyed the experience of snowshoes.You assume a position about half of the way that you do when you relieve yourself in the woods.Then walk!:eek:oooh:

Yessiree!The South East USA has far better winter camping weather and walking conditions.Our very worst weather that I have ever seen in my almost 63 years is far better than some "Good Weather" that I have seen up north.I have only chipped ice twice in salt water to keep my Aluminum boat from rolling over and sinking down here.And that was two days in succession.I also remember a few days of ice in the Winters on the Santee while running my Cat fish traps,but they were few.If they would send these hard core repeat offenders to a US Coast Guard ice breaker one winter to chip ice or sink,they would never repeat any offense to go back!

I will be the first to admit that I have snuggled up to Cows,Mules,Horses,Jackasses (Animal & Human),Dogs and even a friendly old sow on some very cold nights with a bad wind blowing!:embarassed:

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, snowshoes are great fun, takes some time to build all the right muscles up so it don't wear you out. I used to snowshoe a short 3 mile trap line every evening after work all winter. I had a pair of the aluminum military ones that I bought at a surplus sale. Even in 40 below zero and dark I just loved being out there. It was like being on another planet.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I camp year round also. Our winter isnt bad here either. I dont mind the cold but if the wind is bad then there is no reason for me to be out there. I go if there is more reasons other than a campfire and pitching a tent. I gotta be fishing pretty much. Below 28f is getting a little cold for me, about 94f I'm getting hot.

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I love being out in bad weather because you have it all to yourself and it is a completely different world that most never know of.