Winter boating

Discussion in 'Boating' started by recordbreakin1, Sep 7, 2008.

1. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was wondering about boating in the winter.I always hear about people having things done to there boat before winter storage.My question is it ok to take you boat out in winter will it mess you motor up if you do?I have an 18 horse that my dad gave me and I would hate to mess it up.

2. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Winterizing boats is more for inboard outboards that you must be worried about the water freezing in the cooling system. As far as outboards if you are going to store it all winter UNUSED then you would fog the cylinders with oil to prevent rust and put a stabilizer in the gas to prevent gumming up the fuel system.

If you are going to be running the outboard through the winter then all you need to do is make sure you store the motor in an upright position to drain all the water out after each use.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'll be interested in reading the responses to this myself. I doubt I will get out this winter but, I have this in mind for my cuddy project.

Around here I imagine floating trash will be a concern, as will the condition of the ramps,(ice, mud) and of course when you come back in, making sure the engine is fully drained. Hypothermia is a concern also, have to keep warm and dry.

I reckon you would want to be sure your machine is in tip-top shape, you are liable to be the only one on the water, so getting a friendly tow is probably not going to happen.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I agree. Run both of mine thru the winter as long as ice hasn't taken over. Just be sure they drain out.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks guys for the imfo.The motor and boat was given to me by my dad so I take good care of it.The motor is only a year old and always starts on the first pull.I just didn't want to put it in a bad sitiuation and ruin it.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You will not hurt a motor running it in winter. We duck hunt when its cold and never have a problem. Make sure the motor is greased well so the steering, etc doesn't get water in it and freeze. Make sure you have good gas - it sucks to be stranded when its warm, it is DANGEROUS when its freezing cold. Make sure lower unit oil is changed and no water is in it so it doesn't freeze. Warm the motor up good before you take off. We usually put the boat in the water and let it idle while the other person parks the truck and gets the dog and last minute items straight. This is good advice even in the warm months though, and is recommended at least 3 minutes according to the manual that came with my yamaha. We idle anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes on real cold mornings. When you stop the motor make sure you leave it in the DOWN position. This lets the water drain, and as long as you keep the lower unit in the water it should not freeze. If you're worried about traction on a frozen ramp, carry some kitty litter or sand. Keep your gear in good running order/condition, and you wont have any problems. I've duck hunted on mornings that were in the teens, and the hardest part was finding a boat ramp that was not frozen solid (although we've busted ice before to get to a spot), and keeping sheets of ice from taking our decoys. Just remember to be careful and use common sense, its dangerous out there when its freezing cold. Hypothermia sucks. Driving home can be dangerous after cold weather boating also. You're cold all day and get in that warm truck, before you know it your asleep at the wheel (ask my father how he knows :smile2:)

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Fortunately,these things don't happen much in TEXAS.

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I think you will be ok with a 18 h/p as long as you drian it, I use mine year around but do drain water off in winter. let us know how it does!

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Fortunately,these things don't happen much in TEXAS."

No need to apologize, not everyone can live in Almost Heaven!:wink::smile2: