winter boating

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by BKS72, Oct 5, 2005.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm planning on doing some fishing this winter and was wondering what I needed to look out for as far as my boat was concerned. I'm sure I need to make sure the lower unit is drained good after every trip, but not sure what else. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

Branden

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Branden, Although, it does not get as cold here in Arkansas as it does further up north but when we do have weather below freezing, I put a heating pad on my boat. some say there is not enough water left in the motor to harm anything but I do not take a chance. Just my pet peeve. :D

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    One thing I'm going to be certain to do is unhook the water pressure guage and plug the line. Mine froze and busted last year and I don't want to have to shell out another 50 bucks this year.

Also, even though I plan to use mine this winter, I still but Stabil in it and everything I own just in case it has to sit a while.

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have had the same thing happen to my pressure gauge, makes for a real mess during the winter, now I have a tee just behind the gauge with a valve under the dash, I can reach up open the valve, drains the water from the gauge into a cup and I'm all set, I like to keep my eye on that gauge during the winter months............Doc

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Good idea. I think I'll try to find something to hook mine up like that.