Winter Boat Launching Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by puddle jumper, Jan 18, 2010.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Guys
    I spend a good amount of time fishing solo, even in winter,, and was wondeing how some of you guys go about getting your boat on and off the trailer without getting wet "no dock" ??? Was thinking about some muck boots or rubber boots, but seems like there has got to be a better way than to wade around in the water on the really cold days.. I have tried leaving the tow line attatched to the bow with a bunch of slack in it and floating the boat off and pulling the trailer up the ramp a bit, but then im crawling out on the trailer with it wet and thats no fun anytime, and its always akward and slippery,,

So who has a great way to do this solo that works great,, aslo im in a jeep so I cant clinb into the bed of a truck "wich worked great before I got the jeep"...
    ?????
    Thanks
    Puddle

2. LMAO, get rid of the jeep. J/K bro. Does the jeep get into the water too? So a catwalk on the trailer won't help? I do 95 % solo, and I understand where you are coming from. I have a Suburban, so I can't climb over the back of that. I launch the boat almost every week of the year. Wintertime can be tough. If I can't drive the boat on and climb out with dry feet, I will push the boat off the ramp by hand and pull it into the trailer as far as I can, which will get about half the boat into the bunks.

I will make several wraps of the rope around the top of the winch mount post and cinch it(I also plan on mounting a heavy cleat at his position to aid in this process) and pull the truck up only a few feet, usually that is all I need to get to be able to reach the bow eye with the winch hook and keep toes dry. Then I will winch it on 75% or so. Then I pull the truck off the ramp to lever ground, so winching the rest of the way aint as hard. However, I am running a 16' aluminum bass boat, I am sure a bigger boat will be more of a struggle, but that is what has worked for me so far, the worst part is winching it up, that get's old quick. Would mind one of those electric winches. Some day...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    NPT if ya had a wireless remote for your anchor winch you could use the anchor winch to pull the boat up the trailer :good:

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    My old truck had a cap on it so I couldnt climb in the bed. I would step up onto the rear tire and then step to the end of the rear bumper. From there it was easy to climb onto the boat and back it off the trailer. Loading was the same procedure in reverse except I couldnt back so far or there was a danger of the boat not centering on the trailer in current. That leaves a bit of winching to do not a big deal.
    I still use the same method with my new truck but now I can climb into the bed instead of having to do the tire-bumper shuffle...W

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'd just use some rubber boots. My rubber boots have more insulation than anything else i own anyways, so it'll help keep my feet warm too. If you bring a fish, or anchor, etc. into the boat and water splashes they will keep your feet dry also.

If you can launch and load your boat with the bumper of the jeep at or above the water line, you can walk up and down the trailer, climb onto the jeep bumper and step down onto dry land. This is what i do with my pickup when the ramp angle and water lever will cooperate (i can still climb into the bed if necessary). A board down the center of the trailer will aid you in this. Go bigger than i did, i used a 2x6, and its a little small....easy to walk down on hard ground, but mounted on my boat trailer, the trailer wiggles and moves, making it hard to keep your balance.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I don't mind fishing alone in the summertime but me and Sam have pretty much decided to stop fishing alone in the winter. It's just not worth the risk when the water temps are really cold. You need to find someone to fish with in the winter if at all possible.
    That being said I can load and unload mine without getting in the water but I use an open bedded pickup. You may need to invest in an old pickup just to pull the boat around. Using the jeep your only option is to tie a long rope to your bumper and to the front of your boat. Back in with enough speed so the boat will come off the trailor and continue going back. Use the jeep to pull the boat up to the ramp. When loading, back your jeep/trailor in as far as you can and still leave you enough room to get behid the jeep without getting in the water. Pull the boat as far as you can onto the trailor with the motor, then use the winch to winch it up on the trailor while standing on dry ground.
    Good luck, just remember safety first when fishing in the winter.

7. I hear ya dawg.....

8. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    No way ,,cant get rid of the Rubi,,
    and yup the water comes all the way to the front wheel when im launching...
    Puddle

9. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I wonder if you were to get thoes folding ATV ramps and walk to the edge of the water and lay the outher end out onto your trailer frame , the folding ones for fitting in the back of the Jeep

10. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Does your ramp have a Dock to tie up at? If it does, tie you a rope to the boat, and pre tie it to the dock.. Before you back in, unhook the winch strap and safety chain... When you back in the water, the boat will float back.... pull up a bit, step on the dock and pull the boat out of the way and tie it off....

Unfortunately, with that short wheel based vehicle, you're gonna have to get your feet wet when you go to put it back on the trailer.

The easiest ad driest way is to have someone back you in.... There's nothing like sitting in the boat as it backs into the water.... Hit the key, circle around to pick up your buddy, and go fishing....

11. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks guys,,
    I fish several places but where im having problems is where there is no dock or its not next to the ramp...

Jeremy,
    I like that idea, going to look into that...

Puddle

12. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    I agree to finding someone to fish with.. especially in the colder weather/water.. never know what could happen out there.. if something bad does happen, I would want a friend getting cold/wet/sick with me, that way they couldnt laugh at you for the next 5 years! LOL seriously though.. better safe than sorry.. plus could be a cheaper fuel bill with 2..

13. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    When I fish alone I will back the trailer only part way in the water then I grab my anchor and set it on the bank and tie about 20 feet of line to the cleat. I get back in my truck and back the rest of the way to the water with an abrupt stop to launch the boat. The anchor will hold my boat at the bank until I park the truck.
    Then I pull the boat to me and jump in! Works well with or without a ramp. Dry feet!

I also will fire the motor up so it's running when I jump in case there is a current and I have to motor away from the bank quick.

Always make sure your anchor is secure before you do this. Good luck!

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One thing I have done is use a 5 gallon bucket with a rope tied to it. It only works in certain situations, but i put the bucket in the water upside down so I can stand on it and get in the boat then I just yank it back up by the rope. Most of the places I fish I can climb in the bed up the pickup and walk out on the trailer arm undo the boat and then beach it and never get wet.

15. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thats Cool John,,
    Has a ton of potential right there,,,
    Thanks bro,,,
    Puddle

16. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    One of the first posts says to back the boat in and pull up the trailer a little.....crawl out on the trailer and bring it off that way.
    Why not just do like I see a lot of solo anglers do: Have a long piece of rope tied to the trailer from the front of the boat. Back into the water enough to float the boat, pull back out of the water. At some point, the rope will tighten and the boat will head back to the ramp. Get out, walk down to retrieve your boat.
    Have at least 20' more rope than the length of the trailer.
    No need to get wet at all, especially in the winter.
    Good luck