winter blues in deep clear lake

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by flatheadhunterx, Oct 18, 2005.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    where would you guys look for blues on a clear deep lake in the real early spring when water temps are still 40 to 50 degrees. would it be good to follow the bait and the stripers up the rivers or stay in deeper water?

2. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I used to fish strip pits in Indiana which are always clear and deep. After ice-out id catch the biggest cats in the deepest holes almost every time. they dont start moving shallow til much later. Id go as deep as possible, but keep in mind this is in indiana, im not sure if its the same in places that dont get that cold in the winter. But man i know they hole up super deep, dead on bottom(the big ones) Makes fishing real easy in those otherwise tough to fish clear water situations. You might get some different oppinions on this but in clear deep early spring holes, I like fresh DEAD bream, not necessarily cut. I dont know why, but the really big ones love it that way after ice-out. Hope this helps...

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Might be because after ice out there are numbers of dead bream and other fish that died during the cold period.They would be well preserved and not giving off any particular blood scent etc just readily available.At Santee after a shad die-off they literally cover the bottom which is why 2-4 small shad on a hook is so effective during the cold water period.

4. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I never thought about that Jim, worth considering. I always just figured with the lower metabolism they probably dont wanna much chase anything...But what u said makes sense as well.