Winter bluegills?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Flatheadhunter33, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Gonna try some spots for blue gill this weekend. I figure that I can get out and try to stock up the freezer while scouting some new spots. Might go out in the afternoon when the sun heats things up the most so the fish wont be as lethargic. Anybody got any tips for winter time 'gills?

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dameon, you find the gills of any size, let me know. i've a few 4 inchers in the aqarium waiting for flatheads. LOL but like to have some for dinner.
    when we gonna hook up? i've got the boat. the time. just have hard time with the cold at night.
    gary

3. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im game whenever you are brother!:wink: My buddy got himself a pontoon this past summer so we were trying to get out on the river one day to scout some areas. We dont really know the river that well though sine we have been mainly on the canals.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    won't be too long. what days are best for you? seems the catfishings been slow lately with the river flow down so much, but still fun getting out there. maybe when this wind dies down some, we can get out there. least to wet some line, drink a few , and shoot the bull.
    Ray wants to come down soon and get with you and i also soon.
    gary

5. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds good to me. Im taking a bit of holiday leave until the 9th of Jan and after that Im mostly available on the weekends.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    soon as this wind lets up some where my boat won't act like a sailboat, we'll hit the river. i want to go try for some of those crappie bad before the bite ends.
    i'll PM you my home phone.
    gary

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Gary, how bad is the wind.??... I got a coleman heater for the boat, or I can use my big sucker.....Leaving around 3pm... heading for the canal at the "hot tubs" for the evening, and then to Squaw for wed.. thur....

Dameon... can you "hook up" with me/us at Squaw for thursday... day and evening??? let me know.... I'll give you my cell # via PM

Got some nice mackeral, and three tubs of crawlers

Bayrunner Ray

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    forgot. winds up to probably 25 or so. down in the 30's at night and up in high 60's daytime.
    gary

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dameon, snooze, you lose, LOL. if he didn't send it, i've got it. but i'm going down to meet him tomorrow morning. i've PM'd you my number. great chance to meet a great guy.
    Ray is okay also. LOL
    gary

10. Pappy B

Pappy B Guest

Hey Dameon,
    Here's one for you to try.Instead of gill fishing try for some carp.I've had alot of success catching flatties in cold water with fresh cut carp.Not so much frozen as fresh.I use corn and chum up the area and put a couple of lines out with a #4 hook full of corn.After I get a carp or two I scale the carp and then fillet it.Leave the skin on it's important.I cut the carp into chuncks or strips about 1 inch wide and two inches long.I put this on my 5/0-9/0 circle hooks and drop it int the deepest holes I can find.The fresh sent will drive flatties crazy.If you don't get bit.Move.Winter time flatting can be frustrating so it take a little time to find those hibernation holes.Most of it is hit and miss.When you do find a good hole remember catch and release.I've found a few holes where I'll hit 4 or 5 fish in a hour.This works great for channels also.Good luck.
    Pappy B.:cool2:

11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the advice Wayne! Sorry it took me so long to respond to this thread. I could not find it for the longest time and I thought that it was removed for what ever reason.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey buddy, i just placed a thread the other day in the ohio local talk, for cold water bait. might check it out, that is how i catch gills and baitfish all year round.. goodluck to you...rollo

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When did Arizona get a winter?

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    it is like 50 degrees here and it rained all weekend. i dont think i have ever seen it rain all weekend out here in AZ

15. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah that rain was pretty refreshing! I have not seen it rain for more than a few hours in a long, long time! I wonder if it will affect the fishing any? Seems to work out pretty good during the summer time when it rains...

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    I'm stuck in northern idaho enjoying 20 degree weather and snow. brrr.
    Joey, if a hard rain, if you have time, go by my house and pull plug from boat. i had to leave in emergancy mode and didn't have time to raise front of boat up or pull plug. don't worry if hasn't rained hard though.
    gary

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey gary. it didnt rain hard here this weekend. just a slow stead rain all weekend. i will go by there this evening and check it out for you though, make sure there is not water standing in there.