Winter bluegills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Where do they go during the winter? i cant find em. how do i catch em in the winter.

2. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    They get cold and head for cover.. Fish rocks where there are nooks and crannies use night crawler chunks.
    Root Balls are also a good spot to find em.
    Look out you may catch a Bass in there also:wink:

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Cover in deep water if you usually catchem in 5-10 then try 20 -30 in brush or timber. And go with smaller bait too. Good luck

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been catching them in about the same spots though a few feet deeper later in the day and closer to the bank first thing in the morning. My best luck has been first thing in the morning through early afternoon and then about 1 hour before the sun goes down. Bait of choice is red worms, night crawlers are Gulp maggots. Seen a few guys using wax worms and having a field day with their kids.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I am sure that works in texas but up here in Indiana and Virgina we get a little colder winter :cool2: For bluegill i fish deeper ledges. Find the crappie and you'll find the bluegill, or just wait another couple weeks and you can nail them through the ice!

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

i dont consider 50 degrees in winter too cold. but up there in indiana it REALLY gets cold. it doesnt even snow here in southern va :confused2:

7. jes4561

jes4561 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    what is the record for bluegill in va?

8. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In the creek, I don't fish much for bream anymore but I remember fishing near the bank, with rock and mud bottom and some old submerged trees. I lowered the hook so the distance between the worm and the bobber was about 3 or 4 feet. They were'nt very big, but that was in the Dark Ages, before I was a catfisherman. That was only 3 years ago, the river hasn't changed that much.

9. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jes the Va. state record list dose not have a bluegill on it but has a sunfish listed at 4 lbs 12 oz.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I have good results fishing on the bottom near shore structure. I use 1/64 flies tipped with wax worm.